Updating ubuntu gateway installation

I installed ignition on an ubuntu server just by downloading and running the install binary. Now I’d like to update it and it would be great to use APT to do so. But it was not installed using APT. Anyone know what my options are? Is APT smart enough to figure out its already installed and not over-write it?

Safest bet would be to just download the latest installer binary and use that. The installers are also upgraders.

And, as always, make a backup before you upgrade.

Agreed. The binary installer and APT are mutually exclusive. If you install one way, you cannot install the other way unless the first is uninstalled. Trying to run both types of installers on the same box will put you in a world of pain.

Sounds like I will be uninstalling and re-installing through APT. Are there any best practices for removing an installation done with the binary?

Just backup the gateway (if you like), and then uninstall according to the directions in the manual:

inductiveautomation.com/support/ … lation.htm

I followed the uninstall instructions (just ran sudo uninstall). It uninstalled successfully and i installed via apt successfully. I now get a 404 error when navigating to ourserverip:8088. I’ve verified java -version gives me the correct output and I’ve verified that the xml files I can find are not corrupted (see this thread http://www.inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6630&p=35771#p35771).

Here are the XML files I found:

/usr/local/bin/ignition/tomcat/webapps/main/WEB-INF/web.xml (no clean file)
/usr/local/bin/ignition/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml (clean file)
/usr/local/bin/ignition/tomcat/conf/web.xml (no clean file)
/etc/ignition/gateway.xml (clean file)

If one of the XML files that doesn’t have a clean file is corrupted, I’ll get you a new one.

The wrapper.log file would be helpful in figuring out what’s going on.

I tried to restart the gateway via gwcmd but it just hung up. So I rebooted and now everything is working. Huh.