Upgrade Issues with Database Authentication

Here’s an interesting one. I have an existing project that was set up with database authentication. It worked perfectly in PMI. I followed the upgrade doc to move it up to Ignition this morning. Once PMI project is upgraded, it dumps me back to the main screen and I have to re-login with an existing username/password. However, when I try to log in, I get the message “Unexpected error logging in: java.lang.Exception: SQL Exception during role retrieval” As of right now, I am completely locked out of the converted program and Ignition configuration. Any ideas?

Joe

If you ever get locked out for any reason you can use the Gateway Control Utility to reset your password and gain access to your Gateway again. You should be able to find it in your start menu under All Programs > Inductive Automation > Ignition.

Can you look in your log file for more detail on the error you got? Or just send us wrapper.log from C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition and we can take a look for you. Carl informs me he just made a fix regarding DB authentication (not released yet), but it would be good to check and make sure this is the same issue.

Kevin,

I tried attaching the wrapper.log, but it wouldn’t go. Where should I send it to? Also, thanks for the tip about resetting the password. I didn’t see that in the docs. Thanks.

Joe

You can send it to support@inductiveautomation.com and we’ll have a look.

Thanks

I just sent it off, but here is some more info. After I reset the password, I went in and checked the imported authentication profile. I found that the Mapping User ID and Mapping Role ID column names had been reversed. I corrected this, saved the changes, and switched back from default to my DB profile. Now, when I try to log in using the DB profile, it gives me an “Insufficient privileges to view this page.” message.

One of the other developers found this bug last night and we’ll be posting a new build today (or possibly by tomorrow) that addresses this problem.

Would you like to be notified when the build is available?

That would be great! Thanks.

I am of need of this new version also. I rely heavily on authentication so basically nothing works.

That log file indicates that your user name column is blank…

Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND mapping.Username = users. AND users.Username = 'citco'' at line 1

Alright guys, build 4404 is available at inductiveautomation.com/downloads/ignition.

Carl,
I’m using existing auth tables from a working PMI project, so the column is definitely not blank. I’m not sure what that is about.

Kevin,
Thanks, I’m downloading the new build right now and will get it installed and tested.

Joe

Yeah, I understand that. Perhaps there is an issue with the backwards compatibility process that is leaving that column name out. Can you report what the configuration of that auth profile looks like in Ignition please?

Carl,

I used the standard profile configuration. I did notice something while playing around with it today:

If I leave Rolename as the Mapping User ID column and Username as the Mapping Role ID column, it works. If I set Rolename to Role ID and Username to User ID, it doesn’t work. I also tried creating a new DB auth profile to test, and this is how it defaults.

Joe

Joe - thanks for bringing that to my attention. I thought we’d fixed the rolename/username confusion, but it turns out it was actually wrong in two places. This will be corrected in the next release.

So when you correct for our labeling mixup, it works, right?

Carl,

Yes, if I leave the column names as they are (reversed when compared to the labels) it works properly. Thanks.

Joe