Upgrading from FactorySQL to Ignition (when problems arise)

Normally, to upgrade from FactorySQL to Ignition, you can just export your FactorySQL backup, and use the legacy upgrade tool in the gateway.

However, for various reasons, this can sometimes fail. This is especially true when Ignition is not installed on the same machine as FactorySQL. In this case, you may not have the .Net framework installed. Installing the .Net 2.0 runtime can help, but sometimes errors persist.

The process of upgrading a FactorySQL project consists of converting it to an XML file, and then importing the XML into Ignition. The tool to convert the file to XML can be run alone, and the XML imported manually. Generating the XML on the FactorySQL machine usually avoids any difficulty.

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the tool from this link
  2. Run the ProjectConverter.exe app from the command line:
>ProjectConverter.exe old.fdb out.xml

for example…

ProjectConvertor.exe "C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\FactorySQL\system_database.fdb" "c:\factorysql.xml"
  1. Take the XML file, and load it into the legacy upgrade tool in the Ignition gateway. The page says that it accepts FDB files, but it will also accept the XML.

Everything else about the upgrade will remain the same.

anything else I could do to get FactorySQL into Ignition??? This convertor doesn’t want to work on my computer.

Is it a computer that has FactorySQL installed? If not, you may not have the .Net 2.0 Runtime installed. Try installing from that link and see if that helps.

If you still can’t get it to work, I can create a support ticket that will let you upload the file to us, and I can convert it here.

Regards,

Still couldn’t get it to work.

I’ve PM’d you with a ticket number.

Regards,

We’ve also just found a problem with the legacy upgrade tool and Java 7, which would result in the following error during import:
“Type of property value cannot be coerced to the correct type.”

This has been fixed for version 7.3.3.