Using SEL (Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories) Realtime Automatic Controllers (RTACs) with Ignition

Hello all my dear Ignition users :slight_smile:

Have any of you ever used or heard of using SEL Controllers and implemented Ignition SCADA? If so could you share your experience with working on SEL controllers to get data into ignition, communication establishment, Tags, tag browsing etc...

I am working with a team who is preferring to use SEL controllers over AB, Siemens and I have never worked on SELs before. wondering if i could get some insights from my fellow Ignition users. any information will help me.

Thank you!

Never heard of that before…

But from the documentation on their website it looks like they support Modbus/TCP so worst case you could connect that way.

1 Like

It might be worthwhile contacting their customer service and asking what the possibilities are for external communications to ignition.

1 Like

Looks like DNP3 is an option, as well.

Yes, I work with SEL RTAC’s and interface Ignition directly with them via ModbusTCP/IP. We also utilize the SEL RTAC EtherNet/IP driver for interfacing with our Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLC’s.

I think the RTAC’s are great pieces of equipment, especially if you need to interface with a lot of different devices using a range of different communication protocols.

1 Like