Using the timer component to "kick" user from window after x minutes of inactivity

We've transitioned to having a master project, and several subprojects within that master folder. I would like to have it so that if a user navigates from Subproject A to Subproject B, after x minutes of inactivity they're redirected back to subproject A. I've been able to implement this in a pretty convoluted and tedious way. Basically, when a user navigates from A to B, I write the path to window A in a client tag. On B, I have several timers (one for each window). When the timer hits the max value - 1, the timer will close the current window and navigate back to the window path stored in the client tag. When I navigate from Window B-1 to B-2, I set the timer on B-1 to 0 again and the timer on B-2 should then start counting up from 0. The problem I'm having is on the transition from B-1 to B-2, the timer on B-1 never seems to go back to 0 despite my explicit assignment; instead, it keeps counting up and will still trigger the return to A, sometimes even when I just navigate from B-1 to B-2 and the max length of neither timer should have had time to reach its trigger condition.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Should timers not be used like this? Is there a better method?

Code for button from B1 to B2

# This script was generated automatically by the navigation
# script builder. You may modify this script, but if you do,
# you will not be able to use the navigation builder to update
# this script without overwriting your changes.
event.source.parent.getComponent('Timer').value = 0
#system.tag.write('[client]AllInOne/IdleTimerOn.Value',"false")

window = system.nav.swapTo('SafetyCenter/SOPsAndLockouts/SOPViewer')
system.nav.centerWindow(window)

Code for button from B2 to B1

# This script was generated automatically by the navigation
# script builder. You may modify this script, but if you do,
# you will not be able to use the navigation builder to update
# this script without overwriting your changes.

#Reset Timer

window = system.nav.swapTo('SafetyCenter/Home Screen')

Code for Timer B1

if (event.source.value == event.source.max-1):
	#event.source.value = 0
	prevWindow = system.tag.read("[client]PreviousWindow").value
	system.tag.write('[client]AllInOne/IdleTimerOn.Value',"false")
	if(prevWindow != ""):
		window = system.gui.getWindow('SafetyCenter/Home Screen')
		system.nav.closeWindow(window)
		system.nav.openWindow(prevWindow)
	else:
		system.gui.messageBox("This machine has no other project to return to. If you are experiencing issues, please restart the computer.", "No other project found")

Code for Timer B2

if (event.source.value == event.source.max-1):
	event.source.value = 0
	system.tag.write('[client]AllInOne/IdleTimerOn.Value',"false")
	prevWindow = system.tag.read("[client]PreviousWindow").value
	#event.source.parent.getComponent('Timer').value = 0
	if(prevWindow != ""):
		window = system.gui.getWindow('SafetyCenter/SOPsAndLockouts/SOPViewer')
		system.nav.closeWindow(window)
		system.nav.openWindow(prevWindow)
	else:
		system.gui.messageBox("This machine has no other project to return to. If you are experiencing issues, please restart the computer.", "No other project found")

Is this in Perspective or Vision?
Have you tried system.util.getInactivitySeconds()? I never used it before but if it's in Vision, i would try to put a script with this function inside a Timer Client Events script.
https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC81/system.util.getInactivitySeconds

6 Likes

Without reading the whole script (no time now), I'll take a stab and say that it's due to you using openWindow instead of swapWindow. openWindow will open a new window and keep the old one running, which is probably why the timer is still running in the background.

But yes, definitely sounds convoluted and I agree with @leonardo.godoi

2 Likes