(View) Configuration Explorer - a new tool for visualizing dynamic configuration in Perspective

Available in last night’s nightly build and in the full release of 8.1.22 coming soon, the ‘Configuration Explorer’ tool.

Opened on a particular view (or component of a view; more on that in a moment) this is a specific-to-Perspective tool that helps you visualize every dynamic piece of configuration in a particular view in one place. Quickly see all your bindings, scripts, or event handlers, and search within their raw configuration for any given string value.

See something you need to update? Just use the ‘Go To Reference’ action button on the bottom; or right click in the table cell; or, for keyboard only users, just press the Enter key and you’ll be taken directly to the editor for the highlighted configuration.

If you want to focus on a specific part of your component hierarchy, just invoke the Configuration Explorer (from the right click menu, or find it in the Component menu, or use the hotkey Ctrl/Meta + R) on a particular component, and you’ll get a custom Configuration Explorer view of the selected component and all of its children.

Toggle the details panel along the bottom to view the ‘raw’ JSON configuration of the selected configuration; this can be a helpful debugging tool, or just convenient reference.

29 Likes

Is there a way to print the configurations from this tool? I am creating a perspective project and am required to document all configurations. The project is pretty extensive and contains many views that I need to document. Currently the plan is to document all configurations manually, but would like to know if there is a way to print the configurations to an xml or csv to save me time.

Perspective stores all of its configuration in the filesystem in JSON, so your automation should be able to parse that.

Am I correct in that documentation is in the resource.json vs the view.json?

Is there anyway to easily return what has been documented without opening up each resource? When you create documentation the view shows a document icon (within Designer) so I would think maybe?

I've noticed that the window doesn't open, it's not disabled, yet when I click on it nothing happens. Tried to reset panels, that didn't help. Restarted the Designer, stopped/started the Gateway, rebooted my machine, didn't help. Version 8.1.28, it used to open.

Restarted the

Any errors in the console? Does it open if you right click the view node in the project browser? Does it work if you have the view already open in the designer?

User error, sorry, you must have a valid resource open or selected before it will open. Once I selected or opened a view, for example, it opened.

1 Like