ViewConfig missing on initializing view

I clicked the refresh button at the top of the screen next to the toggle preview mode button and ran into this issue. The view disappeared and the word ‘synchronizing’ appeared briefly and then permanently changed to ‘loading’. I can no longer open the view that I tried to refresh (it just says loading).
Additionally, in the project configuration screen under recently modified views, the view I refreshed just has an ‘X’ through it now.

Console output when trying to open the view:

16:09:08.507 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO ViewResourceEditor - Perspective remote debugging port open at: http://localhost:9222/devtools/inspector.html?ws=localhost:9222/devtools/page/(315273E697B2A60DFCEFED46AF3D7ABB)

16:09:10.757 [Browser Events Thread] INFO Perspective.Designer.BrowserConsole - store.Designer: ViewConfig was requested for session-init, but bridge did not provide a config for this tab id of Popups/AddDefect/cooAddDefectPC

I tried creating new views to attempt to replicate this error with no luck.
I tried renaming, moving, copying, exporting/importing the view with no luck.

My only guess now is that the parent folder of the view was originally ‘Add Defect’ (with a space) and maybe that’s why the view config file is not being found (though I have been able to save just fine, it was only once I clicked the refresh button that I got the error.)

If anyone can tell me how I can manually manage the view config files that might be a good place for me to start.

Thanks in advance

The views will be stored on the filesystem of the gateway, in the installation directory; specifically, /data/projects/. Each view will be stored in something like:
/data/projects/<projectName>/com.inductiveautomation.perspective/views/<view name>

I found that the contents of the view.json file for the view in question was simply ‘null’ and there was no thumbnail file either. Another thing to mention is that the view is still able to be displayed in the client.

If there is no way to restore this view.json file then fortunately I think I will be able to restore a fairly recent copy of the view from one of my gateway backups.

@nburt the root issue here (null data getting saved into view.json) should be fixed now, although you’re correct, once it’s been saved that way there’s nothing we can really do about it unless you happen to have an older backup. We’re currently working to isolate some other issues with view data persistence in other threads - if you have any more issues, please don’t hesitate to let us known in those other threads.

1 Like