Vision Client Launcher Application for all users

Hi All,

Is there a way to install a Vision Client Launcher application to all users? As of now all of my operators have to log in first, connect to the gateway, select a project, and download it when they first log in.

Thank you!

One thing you could try is to install the Vision Client Launcher for all users (there is a prompt when running the installer that will, with admin permissions, install under Program Files). You’ll find a desktop shortcut under C:\Users\Public\Desktop that is shared by all users. You can then create a “common” folder for use by the client launcher with all users. See the screenshot below:

There are a few things going on here, so I’ll attempt to share a bit of sequencing for you:

1. Vision Client Launcher has been installed for all users.
  2. A clientlauncher-data folder has been created and permissions setup so all users can read/write to it. In the example I placed it at C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Vision Client Launcher\clientlauncher-data so that I could use a relative path in the shortcut settings that follow.
  3. Adjust the properties on the Vision Client Launcher shared shortcut (under C:\Users\Public\Desktop) to have a -Dapp.home=clientlauncher-data property that points the Vision Client Launcher to use that folder as its configuration store.
  4. Launch that Vision Client Launcher shortcut and configure a Vision application target. You’ll notice that (assuming your permissions settings on that shared folder are correct) there will be a few files in that clientlauncher-data folder now. Right-click the application in Vision Client Launcher and “Create Shortcut”. The shortcut will be created with the same app.home property as the parent launcher.
  5. Move the shortcut from your Desktop to the C:\Users\Public\Desktop folder to share the shortcut across all users.

Obviously, with this approach, the configuration is indeed shared, so a change via one user will affect the presented applications for other users. You can also create an additional shortcut for yourself (not in the shared desktop folder) and set -Dapp.home="%USERPROFILE%\.ignition\clientlauncher-data" to use a user-local configuration for your own uses.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hello,
I am stuck at step 3 in this one.
I tried 2 path
"C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Vision Client Launcher\visionclientlauncher.exe"-Dapp.home=clientlauncher-data
and
"C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Vision Client Launcher\visionclientlauncher.exe"-Dapp.home=C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Vision Client Launcher\clientlauncher-data

Let me know what am I doing wrong, My purpose is to have single launcher application for all users on that PC without needing them to add application by going into vision launcher.

Looks like you might be missing a space between the executable and -Dapp.home=.....

1 Like

Thank you for noticing. That was the exact issue. :slight_smile: