Vision components showing text values that are not expected

Ignition 8.1.13 running a Vision module version 11.1.13:
I believe if a person is having visualization trouble with a label component’s text property, delete the component and make a new one:

I had the issue of a label showing “OR -” when it should have been showing a “-” on a Vision client or on preview mode in the Designer. Switching the Designer back design mode changed the values back to as expected. Same with “split load.” and an “a”. The problem persisted with or without Binding. The labels were copied and pasted. I deleted the old labels and made new labels, the project has not had any problems like it since.

What kind of binding were you using? You’d have to share more about the binding and properties configuration to know exactly what happened.

I am about to look at backup I had. The idea is to create an on screen keyboard / keypad so that the user of a touchscreen monitor does not have access to the windows environment via the windows key on the built-in keyboard. I made two different flavors of such a keyboard / keypad; (1) where the scripts of keys interact with a custom property on the root container and the suspect label’s text is bound to that custom property. (2) The other flavor is where the keys interact directly with the suspect label’s text.
In looking at the suspect label, it is flavor #2. Below are two copies of the components XML-wise. The first is the suspect label, the second is one of the keys.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 875.0;60.0 74.5;139.0;875.0;60.0 txt_Data 74.5;139.0;144;0;0.054857142;0.8 vision.custom.functions -16777216 1 Dialog;1;48 -1 0 0

KEY:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> action java.awt.event.ActionListener java.awt.event.ActionListener|actionPerformed|1;java.awt.event.ActionEvent javax.swing.AbstractButton|addActionListener|1;java.awt.event.ActionListener javax.swing.AbstractButton|removeActionListener|1;java.awt.event.ActionListener data_text = (event.source.parent.parent.getComponent('txt_Data').text) position = event.source.Set_value

if (position != 73) and (position != 1008) : # if not dash or backspace
if (data_text == "Null" ) or (data_text == "None" ) or (data_text == "" ) :
data_text = str(myMethods.EncodeShortList(position))
elif (data_text != "Null" ) and (data_text != "None" ) and (data_text != "" ) :
data_text = str(data_text) + str(myMethods.EncodeShortList(position))

if (position == 73) : # if a dash, get the second element of the literal string. "OR -" has been coming up
if (data_text == "Null" ) or (data_text == "None" ) or (data_text == "" ) :
data_text = str(" ") + (repr(myMethods.EncodeShortList(position)))[1]
elif (data_text != "Null" ) and (data_text != "None" ) and (data_text != "" ) :
data_text = str(data_text) + (repr(myMethods.EncodeShortList(position)))[1]

if (position == 1008) : #backspace
if (data_text == "Null" ) or (data_text == "None" ) or (data_text == "" ) or (len(data_text) <= 1 ) :
data_text = ""
elif (data_text != "Null" ) and (data_text != "None" ) and (data_text != "" ) and (len(data_text) > 1 ) :
data_text = str(data_text[:-1])

(event.source.parent.parent.getComponent(‘txt_Data’).text) = data_text

60.0;60.0
8.0;57.0;60.0;60.0
btn_Q
8.0;57.0;16;0;0.7;0.7

vision.custom.functions

Dialog;1;42
Q

Set_value

I

myMethods.EncodeShortList(position) defines a string then returns the character that is at the position