Vision module installation without gateway and incompatible with Mac

Dear supporters,

I have 2 issues to report:

1. Reading the documentation of the vision client, this can be downloaded from the gateway mainpage, this means the server. However, the vision client is the module responsible of the execution/visualization/access of the panels which have been created through the designer. This means, practically speaking users should not need to first install a gateway in order to download and install the vision module. This should be independent even for installation purposes of the gateway server. If I am an operator managing a high voltage device, I do not want to download a gateway which I have not clue what it is all about (and in fact I do not have to know it). I just want to click on the button “ON” that somebody else did for me into the designer. Therefore, the operator just wants to download the vision module, connects it to a gateway via the http address and that’s all. However I am seeing that even for downloading purposes I need a gateway, is this true?. Do I need a local gateway to install the vision module?

2. In addition, trying to download and open Ignition-8.0.12-osx-installer MacOs it tells me that this operation is not permitted because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This means, I have never managed to install ignition in MacOS system (Catalina version 10.15.5) because mac does not allow opening the application for security reasons. When you say that Ignition can be installed in Mac, how do you manage this message of Apple?

So both questions come together: How can I install and run the vision module independently of any local gateway installation and how can I connect different visions installations (from different operating systems) to the same gateway?. It is perfectly realistic that the gateway is installed in a CentOS7 machine while I try to access it with vision client in Mac, Centos8, Windows without local gateways in all these machines… In particular how can I manage the installation of vision in Mac when not even the gateway is accepted by this operating system?

Thanks a lot for your support,
Kind Regards,
Patricia Mendez

1. You read correctly, clients do not need to download and install the the Ignition gateway from the full installer. They can log onto an existing gateway via its gateway webpage, download the client Launcher and install it. When it’s installed and opened, you will need to first point it to a gateway, and then you’ll be able to choose which project to launch. Once you’ve launched it the first time, you’ll get an icon on the desktop that you can use from then on to quickly launch the client, this can also be added to the startup folder (for Windows)

Not sure about Macs sorry

1 Like

Don't call it "the module". A module has a specific meaning in the Ignition world, and it doesn't fit your usage.

To expand on Nick's answer:

The software you need on the client is called the "native client launcher". When you install a gateway, that gateway exposes on its home page downloads of the native client launchers for all three supported client platforms, no matter what platform the server is on. You can download these launchers from a gateway to a thumb drive and carry them to wherever you need to install a client.

Do note that v7.9 gateways work with v7.9 native client launchers, and v8.0 gateways work with v8.0 native launchers. v8 also separated the client launcher from the designer launcher. In v7.9, the same launcher does both clients and designers.

In general, the native launcher can be newer than the gateway it connects to, but not older. If you need to support multiple Vision applications across multiple gateways, install the newest v7.9 launcher and the newest v8.0 launcher for the gateways involved.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Just to explain my input, I called it “module”, probably wrongly as you tell me, because from the Ignition gateway, if I click in “config” there is a section called “modules” and inside this category “vision” appears. So if vision should not be called module, then it is confusing for the users, because it appears in the modules category of the gateway. In the same way, when I launch the designer software, besides different messages it announces “launching vision module”, so maybe this is another module, but it has the same name.

I would love to give a try to your proposal, but I can’t. From my laptop, a MaC laptop, perfectly updated to the latest Catalina version I connect to the remote gateway as you suggested me, I download the vision client launcher and when I try to open it, the system refuses this opening because: “Apple cannot check it for malicious software”. This is actually the 2nd ticket I opened to this respect, the 1st one did not have any answer. I would like to know what is happenning with Ignition and Mac, how you manage to install it in MaC, because this is my operative system at home as many people in my lab. Maybe it is just tricky but I would like to know how to “convince” my mac that the software is perfectly ok. any idea to this?

Thanks so much,
Patricia

Vision is a module, indeed. But it is not the only one launched in a Vision client. The client launchers are the native platform in which the modules run for client purposes, much as the gateway is the platform for the modules to run for server purposes.

Perspective is slightly different in that it uses a browser as its client platform, instead of java, but it also has multiple layered modules.

I can't help you with any Apple product. I understand that many developers within Inductive use Apple products, so you might just have to be more persistent with your support ticket. I suspect your problem has been fixed in a newer version of Ignition. It is entirely possible that you can use a later version's launcher with your existing gateways. You should be able to extract the client launchers from a ZIP install file without actually installing that gateway.

Have you tried the solution in this thread?

1 Like

Indeed Chi, following the solution included in the thread it has worked. Tricky though. Thank you so much!
Cheers
Patricia

Thanks for the explanations, very kind of you

There are some break points though. IIRC, the 7.9.11 launcher can't launch pre-7.9.6 projects (or something like that).

1 Like