VNC Settings Gateway and Client Connection

Please tell me more about how to set up VNC thin-client connection on the gate way and how to connect with VNC client.

Clients always ask for password, what should this be and where do I set in the config.

If VNC is already running on port 5800 and 5900… will using 5901 for ignition VNC be an option?

The VNC settings for the mobile module are pretty straight forward. We have some documentation in the user manual, but its the same information you would get from looking at the settings in the gateway. You should leave the port at 5900. If you do plan on using another port, or if you plan to use 5900, you will need to make firewall exceptions. These would be both inbound and outbound.

What client is asking for a password? Is it the Ignition client or the device that you’re using? If you are prompted for a username and password when you launch the Ignition client then it would be whatever you have associated with the project. Or, you can remove the username and password and use auto login. This can be configured in the project properties in the designer.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood. I thought we could use a VNC client(viewer) to connect to an Ignition Gateway VM.

All VNC clients that I know of ask for a connection password(no user name, just the VNC password). VNC defaults to 5900, but I already have a VNC server running on that port for connection to the desktop environment. I was asking about changing Ignition’s VNC connection to 5901 or something other than 5900.

Either way, it seems what I thought was available is not. I was excited when I noticed the VNC option under mobile, but I guess this is for something else.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You can change the port number to something other than the default.

From the user manual

inductiveautomation.com/support/ ... ttings.htm

This is already known and understood. How do you connect using VNC client. I have tried several. VNC requires password(no user name). I am sure there is a second authentication step for ignition user. Will you please youtube me an example?

The VNC authentication is separate from Ignition authentication. There are no other authentication steps in Ignition.

Please youtube a clip of setting up connection for VNC in ignition config and then show opening a VNC client and connecting to an Ignition project.

I would really appreciate this. I am sure it would only take about 2 minutes.

[quote=“ecujak”]Please youtube a clip of setting up connection for VNC in ignition config and then show opening a VNC client and connecting to an Ignition project.

I would really appreciate this. I am sure it would only take about 2 minutes.[/quote]

I used vnc viewer to connect to my gateway just now. all i did was enable vnc under the mobile section, put in my project name, then put in the ip address of the server in vnc viewer and it connected up no problem. I used vnc viewer free edition 4.1.3. If it doesnt work for you I would guess that it is a firewall issue.