Way to export the client log to the server?

Using 7.9.9 for now until the system gets upgraded to 8.1.19 in the near future.

I have an issue currently where this system uses old legacy reporting components to make reports. The rpeort is supposed to print and be converted to bytes to be saved in a BLOB column in a database. For the most part this causes no issues, but for one specific plant, about 5% of the time, the PDF report is not bieng saved to the database.

The fact that this is all done client side means I don't have any server logs to see what is going wrong with these PDF creations and unfortunately I am not being asked to remake these reports as server level objects (yet at least).

What I want to know is if there is a way to grab client logs as a file so I can send it to the gateway and save it somewhere and examine it after a PDF fails so I can look for some error stack trace or just see what is going on.

Is there a way to do this?

Can you just adjust the launch command at the OS level to pipe stdout/stderr to a file? That's probably going to be the easiest thing.

Luckily yesterday this plant that had one of these misses and the application has been running through that so currently I am trying to see if I can remote in and look at the logs live.

So an alternate but related question - say I am able to remote it and they have their vision client still running - is there a way to export the logs from there? I opened our inhouse 8.1 application and I don't see an obvious way to do it, and from your comment it seems not the default that it's writing to a file I can take with me. Do I have any recourse outside of remoting and looking at the diagnostics live?

Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C have always worked for me in the diagnostic console.

1 Like