WebDev to open File Explorer

I’m developing a view on Perspective with a table, I added to it a couple of “Download” Buttons to download documents, that’s working great, but now I want to click on a cell and open a File Explorer on an specific location, I read that WebDev is the way to go but I haven’t been able to figure out how to “Mount” the folder and then display it.

Is there a way to browse through a folder or open it with WebDev?

That’s not how Webdev works.
With Webdev, you can ‘mount’ a particular file or folder - then, when a certain URL on the gateway webserver is accessed (http(s)://$gateway:$port/system/webdev/$project/$pathToResource) the gateway’s webserver will return the contents of the file. In most browser contexts, returning a file’s contents will trigger a request to download the file, but that’s entirely up to the browser.

In all modern browsers, you have basically no insight into the local filesystem, for very good security reasons.

A post was split to a new topic: Webdev file resource security

((hm i might have replied on the wrong topic xd))

You can install an uri (on windows) that works for browsers (not the app)
You gotta unzip and run it (as admin) on every client pc tho

registerExplorerURIScheme.zip (286 Bytes)

this one goes like so, i use the link component to open in a new tab:
explorer:C:\yourfile.txt

Here's a question. I was reading up on another post. I have an perspective application right, in short the webpage is used to retrieve cad files from a server and then download them to the client PC. Can I use the registerexplorerURIScheme to give the user the ability to open up the cad file with autocad?

Just how OAuth authentication works.

Yes i bet you could. iI was able to open text and excel file np, so anything should go.
if they install the uri on their pc, it should work the same as for

You will have to know where they downloaded the file though, which you cant really force if they move/rename it/change the default location....

Most browsers show a popup on completing a download which would have the same behavior, so not sure if its worth installing something for this.
If they dont have to download it, but can acces it thorugh a shared drive, then the uri would be nice though

1 Like