What are the NodeIDs in simulator device?

I am new to OPC-UA and Ignition, and I try to learn how to read “tags” from Java using the Opc Foundation OPC-UA Java SDK.
I am able to read the bult-in nodes in the Ignition Server, for instance node 2258, which gives me the current time.
But I haven’t been able to find the correct nodeIds for a PLC device like Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5500 or the simulator device.
I have added the simulator device to my Ignition test-server, and the web-based OPC Quick Client gives me this information when I click on [r] right to the READONLYSTRING1-node:

Read completed. [Ignition OPC-UA Server][simulator2]READONLY\READONLYSTRING1
Status: StatusCode[Severity=Good, Subcode=NotSpecified, 0x00000000]
Value: ABCDEFG
Quality: StatusCode[Severity=Good, Subcode=NotSpecified, 0x00000000]
Timestamp: 8/31/11 4:06:36 PM CEST

That looks good, but I am not able to read the same information from my Java test-client using the Opc Foundation OPC-UA Java SDK. Which nodeId should I use?

The NodeId in your example is “[simulator2]READONLY\READONLYSTRING1” without the quotes.

All of the device NodeId’s in Ignition begin with [DeviceName] and are followed by an address, the format of which is specific to the device.

Thank you for your quick reply!
I tried the nodeID you proposed, but unfortunately I got a “Bad_NodeIdUnknown” reply. This is my code:

/**
 * Based on ClientExample4 in Java OPC UA Stack
 */
public class OpcClientExample {

public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
		Cert myClientCertificate = Cert.load( Example1.class.getResource( "ClientCert.der" ) );
		PrivKey myClientPrivateKey = PrivKey.loadFromKeyStore( Example1.class.getResource( "ClientCert.pfx"), "Opc.Sample.Ua.Client");
		KeyPair myClientApplicationInstanceCertificate = new KeyPair(myClientCertificate, myClientPrivateKey);
		Client myClient = new Client( myClientApplicationInstanceCertificate );
		SessionChannel session = myClient.createSessionChannel(new URI("opc.tcp://localhost:4096/Ignition%20OPC-UA%20Server"));
		session.activate("opcuauser", "password");

readNode(new NodeId(0, 2258), session);
		readNode(new NodeId(0, "[simulator2]READONLY\\READONLYSTRING1"), session);

session.close();
	}

private static void readNode(NodeId nodeId, SessionChannel mySessionChannel) throws ServiceFaultException, ServiceResultException {
		ReadRequest request = new ReadRequest();
		ReadValueId readValueId = new ReadValueId(nodeId, Attributes.Value, null, null);
		request.setNodesToRead(new ReadValueId[] {readValueId});
		ReadResponse response = mySessionChannel.Read(request);
		for (DataValue result : response.getResults())
				System.out.println("NodeID = " + nodeId + ", statusCode.name = " 
						+ result.getStatusCode().getName() + ", value = " + result.getValue()); 
	}
}

The programs prints this in the console:

NodeID = i=2258, statusCode.name = GOOD, value = (class org.opcfoundation.ua.builtintypes.DateTime) 08/31/11 15:24:18.1090000 GMT
NodeID = s=[simulator2]READONLY\READONLYSTRING1, statusCode.name = Bad_NodeIdUnknown, value = (null)

The NamespaceIndex of all the device NodeIds is 1. It looks like you’re using 0, which is reserved for nodes in the OPC foundation’s namespace.

You are abosolutely right! It worked now. Thanks!