What happened with the forum?

This is all I can see

Me too, I guess they decided to simplify?

This is in preparation for moving to a new software platform for the forum. Something that will look like it’s from this century. :smiley:

It lost its memory of what we’ve already looked at. Just click the “Mark forums read” link to reset it all, then find your place on the “active topics” link manually. It’ll keep up from there.

Yeah, that part kind of sucked. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it has another lobotomy when we switch to the new software. :frowning:

[quote=“KathyApplebaum”]Something that will look like it’s from this century. :smiley:[/quote]I actually like the forum (as it was), I don’t like the look of most ‘modern’ forums.

Oh my gosh, I just realized I sound like an operator that uses a system that I switched to High Performance HMI, ‘I don’t like the new look, I like the old one with colors in it’. I must be getting old :neutral_face:

1 Like

The new forum software will probably be pretty polarizing.

Unfortunately… you all have no say in the matter :laughing: :wink:

I have a number of threads bookmarked. Should I plan on losing those bookmarks?

Also do you know when the switch over will be?

[quote=“Caleb Bohon”]I have a number of threads bookmarked. Should I plan on losing those bookmarks?

Also do you know when the switch over will be?[/quote]

Next week possibly.

We’re importing all the posts and users but I doubt your bookmarks will still work, especially if you’re talking about a browser bookmark as opposed to some functionality of this forum that lets you save posts (no idea if that’s actually a thing).

On the plus side… the search function on the new forum shouldn’t be completely useless.

Ok.

My bookmarks are inside the forum. (When inside a topic you can click on a link to bookmark to the forum rather than to the browser.)

Will both systems be up simultaneously for a short period so we can move that sort of thing ourselves if needed?

[quote=“Kevin.Herron”]as opposed to some functionality of this forum that lets you save posts (no idea if that’s actually a thing).[/quote]It is a thing. Quite handy too. I do hope y’all are making an effort to port those, too.

Having gone through forum upgrades in the past on other sites, I would make a note of the Subject of any thread you have book-marked so you can find it later in the event that all the links are broken and the bookmarks are lost. :wink:

Abishur,

Thats a good idea.

Bookmarks, attachments and private messages should all survive the migration to the new forum software. We’re targeting as soon as next week for the migration as long as our testing goes well, that’s still a bit flexible.

We’ll be putting a sticky up a day or two before the migration to make sure everyone has a heads up. During the migration, the forum will be down for the duration. We want to avoid having any incoming posts getting lost.