What is the advantage of the Ignition S7 driver

Hi Everyone,

I am currently testing a project on a Siemens S7 1516 PLC. The PLC is communicating to ignition using the internal OPC/UA server function of the PLC without the ignition S7 driver.

The problem is that I have just surpassed the 4000 item limit and am frequently losing connection with the PLC.

I am considering switching all the tags to use the ignition S7 driver but I cannot find any information on the tag limits of the S7 driver.

Will using the S7 driver improve the recommended amount of tags?

Best,

It might, but there's a lot of downside too. It's absolute addressing only, no browsing, no access to optimized DBs.

The HMI is unusable right now because of the resource limit so any increase in tag count would be beneficial.

Is there a quantitative measure of how much the S7 driver would help?

No, sorry, there's nothing like this available. It will depend on things like whether you already have other PLCs, HMIs, or systems communicating with this PLC via S7 protocol and probably things like your program scan time affecting how much time can be dedicated to servicing comms, though to be honest I don't know exactly how this works on Siemens PLCs.

In regards to reaching the 4000 item limit - are you subscribing to every tag individually or are you taking advantage of structures on the S7 side and documents/UDTs on the Ignition side?

I've also seen people side step this limit by using a Tag Group in OPC Polled/Read mode, at least for a subset of tags that can be updated slower, because this uses the OPC UA Read service instead of creating MonitoredItems.

Currently, I am using all leased and polled tag connections. I also have different tag groups for setpoints, status, and push buttons.

Each device uses a UDT that follows that contains these groups.

Is there anything else that could be done to increase the tag limit? On the Siemens side, I have already limited the available tags to what needs to be used.

The tag limit is entirely on the Siemens side. If you're not on the latest firmware version that could be something to look into, I think they increased the limits once in the past.

Thanks,

I will try updating the PLC's firmware.