What's the ideal computer to run FactorySQL and FactoryPMI?

Should I use the same machine for both FactoryPMI and FactorySQL?
What should I be concerned about when planing a server?

Jeff,
Definitely run tests for the size of your “enterprise” to determine if a single standalone server is sufficient to run FactorySQL, FactoryPMI, and the database for that matter. In our experience, the answer is typically “yes”, you can use the same machine to run FactorySQL, FactoryPMI, and the SQL database.

When planning a server, you’re faced with the same considerations as you would have for a web/database/application server. CPU speed matters, but isn’t an end all factor. Always have enough RAM for your server. Consider fast hard drives and RAID arrays for redundancy and performance as appropriate. DEFINITELY have a back up plan!

The advantage of a database centric model is that you have ONE DATABASE to backup. It’s that simple. Don’t allow yourself to lose that one database.

“Beefy” servers with good warranties can be had from Dell in the sub $3500 price range that are overkill for most reasonable sized projects. I’d recommend testing the software out on a new $800 XP pro machine. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the performance. I recommend at least a gig of RAM, not because you need it, but just to make sure you have more than enough.