When opening a perspective webpage gets stuck on initializing client

I had an 8.3.4 server that I restored using an 8.1.42 backup of a gateway. everything seems to be working good except when I go to launch a URL. it gets stuck on the initializing client phase and in the console, it gives these three errors.

WebSocket connection to 'ws://MyGatewayName:8088/system/pws/ProjectName/120f3911?token=Zzq0DnpQtcJRJ0QUZ9YUtG-P4Mqk7fuQ0nzxPui574k' failed:

store.Channel: Websocket connection closed. code=1006, wasClean=false, reason=No reason given, codeMeaning=Code not defined, codeDescription=Code out of range.

3PerspectiveClient.2c9f132a639097dcf12b.js:2 store.Idle: Error sending client activity message: TypeError: Cannot destructure property 'readyState' of 'this.webSocket' as it is undefined.

in the gateway logs there is nothing and all the perspective views open in the designer and display.

I have a call with ignition support later today but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before then?

Since you are taking downtime anyways, use the opportunity to install the latest (8.3.9) and try again.