Where are the tutorials?

EDIT: Below is a link to the building in perspective class, its a great start. After this class the documentation made a lot more sense.
https://inductiveuniversity.com/courses/building-in-perspective

I am finding it tough to get just basic tutorials, there are plenty of tech showcases / webinar. but these show you what it can do, not how to do it.

this guy in his room with a cheap webcam is putting out more useful content than inductive automation.

setting up pages, popups, styles, classes, writing expressions for button style classes.

the red lion HMI is another good example, it takes you from knowing nothing to semi proficient in no time.

Inductive university seems OK but its another example of here are some tools but not how everything works together.

In a perfect world it would be a series of videos creating a project from start to finish.

sorry for rambling, kinda annoyed

3 Likes

To answer your title question, the tutorials are here for just about anything you want to do with Ignition.

https://inductiveuniversity.com/

Edit: I didn’t read enough of your post. I guess you knew about Inductive University. I felt that it was a pretty great introduction to the tools that were available. If you want examples of projects you can poke at you can try the exchange.

I will keep working through it. thanks

FWIW, we did recently release a start-to-finish series of videos recently with a focus on Perspective: https://inductiveuniversity.com/courses/building-in-perspective

I do agree with the OP though. Seems like a missed opportunity to not have more cohesive tutorials. IU has embraced a feature-focused model for a while now, which I’m not too happy about. I am looking forward to developing more tutorials for it in the future.

9 Likes

I think IA is silly for not hiring some content creators. Especially when finding them is as easy a youtube search. They should sponsor it, or hire them. For engagement.

I was persuaded to purchase ignition from watching Corso Systems videos… and the obvious value in the software lol

1 Like

thanks for the info, this looks a lot more useful.

IU seems great if I want to learn about a feature, but I’m starting from nothing so it seem disjointed.

1 Like

It's funny you say that. I've recently started looking into it.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. That’s our first effort at a tutorial like that. It’s far from perfect, but it did provide a good step in the right direction I think. Hoping to continue producing more content like that.

All the same, I appreciate the input in the initial post!

right, wrong or indifferent. If you intend to sell to engineers that are 25-35 yr old. I think you’ll have too more or less. In a decade those people will be the plant managers.

That is to say, I haven’t read an issue of Automation World in years. lol

2 Likes

so far this is great, it allows me a foundation to build off in IU. great job, thanks.

1 Like

That’s a huge relief! I’m glad to hear it.

You’re the first person I sent there, so if you have any feedback I’d love to hear it. If you haven’t done that before, just click my icon on this post and select “message”.

Love the guy’s Rockwell hat…

1 Like

Just a data point to the contrary, but I’m in my early 30s and YouTube is my last resort for all things. I’m much more inclined to seek out documentation or a conversation with a rep than to seek out a YouTube personality. Ignition’s free trial is really all I needed to be convinced.

That said, I’m certain there is value to be added in having content creators.

I can’t sit still for video tutorials. I read about 10 times faster than normal speech, so a video really holds me back.

2 Likes

Yeah now that I’ve been developing with ignition for a couple of years. I definitely am too lol.

Coming from just plc and RBT programming mainly. But, It was Corso Systems and some other videos and of course IU that got me going…Built a demo pitched it to the powers that be… I couldn’t, like this guy, do a whole lot with the trial when I got it. I could see what you could do sure and I could do some things. But It felt disjointed.

I said what I said before because my wife works in marketing. And she’s been talking about this edutainment craze for a long time. The data is in on it apparently. As far as leads generation.

And you gig the work out to people who really want it.

I think it’s a bit silly too.

Being silly and different, given the industry, has worked well for IA thus far lol.

1 Like

I know there’s value there; like you said, there’s a large portion of a generation who learns via video.

The most helpful thing for me, aside from documentation, is just having other projects to look at with varied ways of accomplishing the same thing. Every site I’ve worked on I’ve taken the time to peruse the projects, check out how they were built, and assimilate other ideas.

As far as quickly developing an understanding and library of working components, this is/was the way for me. That said, I think IA is gonna be hard pressed to host a simulated site scada with examples of some of the more routine and more complicated things an SI encounters on a daily basis. It’s a lot of work to develop those projects, just so SIs can goof around in the sandbox, as it were.

1 Like

:100:
If I have to watch someone talk, the video's going to be running fast enough for them to sound like a chipmunk. And I'll likely be working on something on the side while "watching" the video. :laughing:

That said, I would have found a shorter series of video tutorials leading to a working project more useful than the many hours of IA University videos I alternatively skipped or "watched" at 2x speed years ago to get integrator certification. Though I haven't looked at it, the Perspective series sounds like a good step in that direction.

1 Like

I largely agree with this from a work point of view, but I think I'm conditioned to work that way. Having experience with other SCADA systems, using the docs along side the trials was the only way to learn anything (or attending ludicrously expensive training courses :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:).

IA's method of having the Exchange and IU has been a refreshing experience, but I still find myself treating the manual like my Bible.

If I was looking to do something that I had zero experience in, I do find that YouTube is my first point of call. But this may be conditioned due to a lack of documentation for certain things :man_shrugging:.

I completely agree, diversification of the training media is (almost) always a positive IMO.

1 Like

thanks…

1 Like

It's really going to depend on the material, but video tutorials can be handy because they are forced to show all the steps when going from point A to point B. Whereas with written material it's pretty common for the authors to leave out what they think is non-critical information that is critical when you are learning a subject (EG how do you get to the ^&^^ option that is stopping me from getting to the next step).

This is also especially important with tutorials discussing things like disassembly of physical equipment, and showing the working vs non-working states.