Where is the ignition.conf file in a Docker container?

I set the JVM max memory in the docker command to be 2048, but when I go to /usr/local/bin/ignition/data/ignition.conf inside the container it shows that the max memory is 1024. Am I looking at the wrong file?

Docker command:

docker run -d -p 9088:8088 --name ignition-test ^
    -v gw-data:/usr/local/bin/ignition/data ^
    -e ACCEPT_IGNITION_EULA=Y ^
	-e GATEWAY_ADMIN_USERNAME=admin ^
	-e GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD=password ^
    -e IGNITION_EDITION=standard ^
	--pull always inductiveautomation/ignition:latest ^
    -n docker-test -a localhost -h 9088 -s 9043 ^
	-- wrapper.java.maxmemory=2048

Inside /usr/local/bin/ignition/data/ignition.conf:

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=1024

On the gateway webpage it shows 2048.

You’re not actually modifying the ignition.conf file with that command. What ends up happening is a temp file is created with any additional arguments (all the stuff after --) and wrapper.java.additional_file gets pointed at that file.

1 Like

Okay, that makes more sense. Thank you!

@kcollins1 can you confirm? That was my take after a quick read…

Any wrapper.* arguments are processed directly by the Java Service Wrapper (and will override any settings initially loaded from ignition.conf). Any other arguments are compiled into a temporary file that is referenced by the wrapper.java.additional_file setting and will be passed directly to the JVM–these are properties that you’d otherwise have to add into those numeric-indexed wrapper.java.additional.<n> lines within ignition.conf.

2 Likes

Can the maxmemory value be changed after container creation? Or is it set permanently once spun up?

If you're driving the JVM memory settings either by the wrapper argument (as shown above) or our -m runtime argument, it will apply to that launch of the gateway. As discussed, it will not mutate the underlying ignition.conf.

If you're running a container, you should be using a persistent data volume against /usr/local/bin/ignition/data (for our official image). This will enable you to recreate the container with the new configuration (container config is mostly immutable once created, though there are a few aspects you can adjust on Docker Engine with docker update).

I have seen interesting behavior on this topic recently:

Should this trendline ever go above the redline?

The max memory was set with -m 10000 which is ~2gb below the pod resource request of 12000. The JVM restarted 42 times, about every 10 minutes, so we took some corrective actions:

1. Increased pod limits to be more than the requests, from 12000 memory to 16000 memory, and 2 CPU to 8 CPU.
  2. Updated ignition.conf to have init-memory and max-memory limits to be at 10000 to match -m 10000 configuration.

As a background, I have restored a .gwbk for initial configuration from another gateway, which had a setting of 56000 max memory in the file. Since the change where ignition.conf setting matched -m, it only went above the redline once, (I think thanks to max pod limit increase to 16000 the wrapper didn't send a SIGKILL (9)?) and has been stable since then.