Window and image caching

Hi all, I have a few questions about how caching is handled in FPMI and Ignition.

Is it possible to cache larger images on the client’s computer ahead of time, or is all that stuff brought down from the server when the operator logs in?

When a window gets cached by FPMI the cache includes images the window uses, correct?

Is it possible to determine at runtime whether to load a high or low resolution image based on connection speed or some other related metric?

Lastly, are there any differences in Ignition and FPMI that would make this behavior different in both systems?

My questions stem from a screen that has a large map which seems to work fine on the LAN, but operators are reporting issues when they use it over the VPN. It is my understanding that a longer wait time is expected on the first load of the window, and subsequent loadings should happen much faster (given that the window’s cache mode is set to Always).

Thanks!

[quote="chache"]Is it possible to cache larger images on the client's computer ahead of time, or is all that stuff brought down from the server when the operator logs in?[/quote]No, the images can't be pre-cached before logging in.

[quote="chache"]When a window gets cached by FPMI the cache includes images the window uses, correct?[/quote]That is right

[quote="chache"]Is it possible to determine at runtime whether to load a high or low resolution image based on connection speed or some other related metric?[/quote]Not really - we don't have any notion of connection speed, although I suppose it could be measured by the client somehow.

Thats right, the cache should help significantly. Do note that we aren't all that happy with how image loading works, and I expect that it'll be improved in Ignition eventually.