Windows name/path from expression

I don’t find any ways to show the windows path or name in runtime:

what I “want” is show the windows path in a little label

Does someone have advice?

You can use a tag binding. This line works as an expression too.

{[System]Client/User/CurrentWindow}

Note that this only works when you switch main windows. I think if you open a popup window, it will still show the main window’s name and not the popup name. You might can get creative if the system tag doesn’t work by using

system.gui.getOpenedWindowNames()

system.gui.getOpenedWindowNames - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation (inductiveautomation.com)

What you say is very clear… but is not what I looking for…

I can’t believe that no exist a way to know the path of a window.

Can you give an example of your window path, and what you expect to see displayed in the label?

something like that:

If you have a direct reference to the window you can use path.

w = system.gui.getWindow("Old windows/Pop_ItemEntry")
print w.path

prints “Old windows/Pop_ItemEntry” for me. So you probably want to do this on a window startup script.

It seems to me in visionWindowOpened, you could do the following

windowPath = event.source.path
myComponent.text = windowPath

That seems to be a work around, but you would have to add this script to every single popup window. It would be a lot nicer if the window had a path property by default.

I would set the popup Title property to your path

system.gui.getParentWindow(event).getComponentForPath('_parent').title = event.source.path

mmm … like you say sure work but for do that i need to:

already know the path
make same script code.

suppose that: you want create a simple label to show the path (like in my pic) and copy that in all your windows how to do? no ways?

this will do it. Just paste this code in a label’s propertyChange event script

if event.propertyName == 'componentRunning':
	event.source.text = system.gui.getParentWindow(event).getComponentForPath('_parent').path
2 Likes

Work fine thanks

1 Like

errata corride:
work almost fine … but when the you close the windows generate the alarm …

It is probably trying to fire when you close the window as well as when it is opened. It cannot get the window path if the window is already closed, so wrap this up in a try except block.

if event.propertyName == 'componentRunning':
	try:
		event.source.text = system.gui.getParentWindow(event).getComponentForPath('_parent').path
	except:
		pass

I modify your idea like that … same advice?

if event.propertyName == 'componentRunning' and event.newValue == 1:
  try:	
  except:
    pass
2 Likes

You shouldn’t need the event.newValue part unless it is part of other functionality you want. The try except will handle the error message by itself

You should also consider putting this into a template. Then if you decide you want to change the font, border, background, etc, you only have to change it once for the project(s).

After the discussion i make a simple template

hope can help

If it’s a Java error you have to except the Java error too. Try:

import java
if event.propertyName == 'componentRunning' and event.newValue == 1:
  try:	
  except:
    pass
  except java.lang.Exception:
    pass

I'm no very expert in python but the sense of put one more control in the "try" is not clear:
"except:" is the default answer to the issue; if we put one more same the default what change?
Can you explain to me the advantage?

The default except will not capture Java errors and if any Java errors occur, you’ll still get an exception without the additional except statement

2 Likes

This is a quirk of Jython

But… did this change in 8? I was typing up an example and noticed except: pass catches both Python and Java errors

However, except Exception, e only catches Python errors in which case you have to add the extra except block for Java errors

It’s entirely possible I never realized this because I seldom handle exceptions without doing something with the error message