Wireless barcode scanner

Does anyone have any experience with wireless barcode scanners connecting back to Ignition? At this point, I don’t have many details, like distance, but the desire is to scan a barcode and then do something like SQL inserts/updates, etc.

Anyone? :slight_smile:

I have to imagine that any specific implementation would by highly dependent on the device you’re using. Do you have a particular one in mind?

No, that was kind of my point for posting… asking for recommendations. Sorry, should have been more specific.

If it’s short range, IE line of sight inside a building, then I would just use a standard USB-cradle <-> bluetooth scanner, i.e. something like this: https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-downloads/scanners/general-purpose-scanners/ds6878-sr.html (there’s a million options from a million vendors, this just happens to be the model I remember from a past life working in a warehouse).

In open air I remember testing the range on that exact model out to a good 100-150 feet. If you need to scan from anywhere inside a multi-acre factory, though, you’ll probably need to jump to a ‘real’ protocol like wifi - at which point you might be able to get away with the TCP driver in Ignition, or you might need to implement your own socket listening code (see @pturmel’s various points of advice on the subject around the forum). There are also ‘mobile computers’ that run Android that might be capable of running Perspective directly, which abstracts the comms problem a fair bit, and gives you a lot of control…but those are also usually a lot pricier, and can be harder to train operators on.

Thanks Paul