XML Tag Import Fails

When trying to import SQL tags from an XML file, I get the following error. I have tried deleting the target folder prior to importing, have tried importing an unchanged XML export file just to see if my editor was changing something that should not be. I always get this result. The text below is from the detail tab of the error dialog box. The primary tab is blank.

org.xml.sax.SAXException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.simple.SimpleXMLReader.endElement(SimpleXMLReader.java:159)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.simple.SimpleXMLReader.parseFile(SimpleXMLReader.java:50)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.action.ImportTagAction$XMLTagImporter.run(ImportTagAction.java:234)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.util.gui.progress.ClientProgressManager$ClientRunningTask.run(ClientProgressManager.java:544)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:526)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.sqltags.importexport.xml.TagXMLImporter$PermissionModelElement.addChild(TagXMLImporter.java:232)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.simple.SimpleXMLReader.endElement(SimpleXMLReader.java:156)
… 25 more

Ignition v7.6.1-rc4 (b2257)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.7.0_21

Can you attach the edited and unedited XML exports of your tags so we can look at them?

Sure. I have attached an export here.

I am using 7.6.1 - rc4 but have had the same result with released versions. I have tried creating an empty project to see if I can import into that and I get the same result.

Thanks for the help.
sqltags_export_MF1_edited.xml (331 KB)
sqltags_export_MF1.xml (331 KB)

Thanks for the export. Looks like the NPE happens when you try to import an XML tag export file that has permissions set on tags. I’ll enter this into our bug ticketing system.

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I am having the same problem, using the same build.

This was fixed, but you’ll have to upgrade, preferably to the latest version of 7.6. 7.6.3 is the latest stable, 7.6.4-rc1 is the most recent RC.