Any limitations on string or dictionary size in Ignition?

Are there any limitations to the size of strings or dictionaries within the Python scripting? I've got a script that I use to parse the contents of txt file to get parameters. Each line in my txt file is associated with the serial number for the item. I load the txt as a string using the system.file.readFilAsString. I then do a split on the returned string on the newline character '\n'. I then printed the length of the array and it returns 3185, which is the number of lines in this txt file.
Next, I iterate through each line, parse out the information and create a Python dictionary, which gets passed back to the loop to update a dictionary that will be written to a memory tag of type document. If I pare down the file to 25 lines, the code works just fine and writes to the tag, but when I run it on the whole file it doesn't (no error is thrown though). When I put a print statement into the for loop to troubleshoot, it looks like I get roughly 1800 lines through before it stops.
I'm testing this loop out in the Script Console before creating a function in the scripting library. Are there limitations to the Script Console?

What's your designer's Max memory set to?

Nevermind, I believe I've found the issue. When splitting the file, it looks like there is one 'line' of 0 length. Some of the scripting is looking for the character at a given index. Every so often, I'd get an index error thrown, but not always. If I cast the line as a string and make sure that it has sufficient length, the code works just fine.

In answer to the posed question: no, there's no explicit limits set, really. I would expect to run out of memory long before you hit limits like "the maximum index of a Java list is ~2,147,000,000".

You might, however, find some limit on the size of a string, dataset, or document that can be written and stored in a memory tag.

2 Likes

When i once selected a thounsand+ lines in my table and send that data through a message to a popup it didnt work because it was to much data.

Hi, I wanted to follow-up on this topic. I've run into this issue twice during development and it seems to be related. In Ignition 8.1.24 project scripts, I get the following error when defining lists of dictionaries:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Module or method too large in `<module:receiving_viewer>`. Please provide a CPython 2.7 bytecode file (.pyc), e.g. run python -m py_compile <module:receiving_viewer> Alternatively, specify a CPython 2.7 command via the python.cpython2 property, e.g.: jython -Dpython.cpython2=python or (e.g. for pip) through the environment variable JYTHON_OPTS: export JYTHON_OPTS="-Dpython.cpython2=python"

The error shows up in the project script designer as an error line indicator on line 1. Sometimes when I get this error I see the line indicator to the right, which allows me to read the error text. Other times I only get the red squiggle line at the top of my script.

You may be able to recreate this issue if you create a new script and paste the following code. The code defines three lists, each with a large number of empty dicts. If you delete one dict from any of the lists, the error will go away. This leads me to believe there is some byte limit associated with my project scripts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I hope I do not have to further segment my code into smaller sized scripts. My actual project script does not contain this many dict definitions, however it does contain some lists with 75-100 complex object members (i.e. a list of tuples that contain dicts, where some of the dicts have dicts as members).

listOf_dicts0 = [
	#1190 dicts
	{}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {},
	{}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {},
	{}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}
]
listOf_dicts1 = [
	#1600 dicts
	{}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}
]

listOf_dicts2 = [
	#1600 dicts
	{}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}, {}
]

It isn't the list or dictionaries themselves, but the size of the resulting block of code expressing those constants. Which is limited in jython and/or java to something like 64k opcodes.

Once you get beyond a few dozen lines, use a configuration file in the gateway filesystem to instantiate your constants. I recommend json, fwiw. In designer or Vision client scope, use system.util.sendRequest to get the configuration from the gateway.

These are hard limits, unfortunately, so you simply must refactor.

3 Likes

As a general rule of thumb, if you're even approaching the parsing limits you're dealing with data, not code, and Python's not a lisp; you shouldn't be writing data out as source code.

Improved management of arbitrary config data (such as JSON payloads) within the designer/project resource system is on the short list, as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, that does make sense to me and a designer-native approach would be great. To that end, I was wondering if you could expand on your response, and Phil's? When it comes to working with source code, or anything outside the standard designer operations, I'm really out of my depth. If it's not too much trouble, could you go into more detail about the process for me? Or point me to a resource I could read?

This is exactly what I need to do, store precompiled data somewhere and retrieve it (hopefully only calling the data once as a definition) at runtime. I just am unsure about the specific steps I need to take.

So for instance - the configuration file I would store on the gateway: what type of file should I use? Can I directly call a .json file using the system.util.sendRequest mentioned? I will lookup that function now, and I apologize if that has the answers.

You've got a lot of options to store this data. If you need access to it in multiple scopes, and you anticipate needing to change it (but not that often), then I would probably start with document tags. They can "natively" hold larger JSON payloads, and you read and write them just like any other tag in Ignition.

For totally static data, you could store it on the gateway filesystem somewhere (or in a database table) and retrieve and cache it somewhere in a project library script.
For dynamic data that you expect to change frequently, I would use a DB table and go out of my way to use a modern DB with a "JSON" type column, so that you can ideally do efficient, minimal updates rather than updating the entire document at once (writing to a tag is a total replacement; there's no partial updates possible, even on a document tag).

It really depends on your requirements, though. Also... to avoid the XY problem: What's the nature of the complicated config data, as in what are you actually storing and what's the ultimate purpose? A straighforward DB table or tables might be the easier to maintain option long term.

1 Like

Look at the example for system.util.jsonDecode. Do that to assign to some top-level variable in a project script module. All usage elsewhere would be to someScript.someVar[someKeyOrSubscript].

Personally, I like running through such objects replacing dictionaries with my SmartMap subclass so that keys are accessible as properties:

1 Like

I've developed an SVG viewer for large layouts and the associated script handles custom hit-testing and layer control of the objects. The data is pre-compiled hit box information for axis-aligned and object-oriented bounding boxes, as well as other associated device data. There is a function in the script that iterates over the lists and checks svg-space mouse coordinates against the pre-compiled data, and that function runs on mouse-move. I anticipated that the function would have immediate access to the list data, and now I'm thinking about whether or not the function will have to execute some kind of retrieval every time it runs. At this time, the data is completely static.

Jython doesn't really have constants. So you have variables that you are simply choosing not to write to. There are java objects that behave as constants, but that is a whole 'nother can of worms.

So then, if at this time I'm not experiencing issues with lag or resource utilization, do you think these other methods would not cause those issues either? Basically it would be a replacement in-kind?

Yes.

1 Like

Thank you again for the help! I'm going to look into these options and do my best.

As an interim step (i'm currently pressed for time on this deployment) I created new project scripts to hold each of the data lists, and then referenced newScript.dataList in my main function. It's working as expected, but this method will generate ~10 extra project scripts dedicated to solely storing data. Does this approach stick out to you as problematic? I would prefer to refactor my data handling during the next development cycle.

Not particularly.

1 Like