Audit logging of system.tag.write* functions explicitly excluded from perspective?

A customer has just noticed that some of their operator actions aren’t being logged in Perspective clients.

I just confirmed this and it looks like the only actions not working are those using the system.tag.write* functions (where incidentally, these do work from Vision.
Looking i the manual, it states this:

Vision Scripting

The following functions generate entries in the audit log if called from Vision component-based scripts, or from the Designer’s Scripting Console.

So it looks like Perspective is excluded from automatically writing tag writes via script?
I’ll write my own wrapper function and replace all usages of tag.write* with my own for now, but it’d be great to get this resolved in the product itself.

Do these log when run from the gateway context? EDIT: Meaning, not explicitly excluded from perspective, just a byproduct of running from the gateway context?

I'm pretty sure this is all that's going on - nothing is explicitly excluded from Perspective, but there are different code paths for things that executed as a result of a call from Vision Client and from Gateway context, and Perspective audit support needs to be added to all these different places.

3 Likes

Kevin H gave this a bump in our internal ticketing system. I did the same on behalf of our AUS distributor and brought it to the attention of Sales Engineering leadership.

1 Like

“explicitly excluded” was more relating to how it read in the user manual but it also sounded more attention grabbing than “not included” which I had before as I feel this is an important feature that’s missing, especially for customers who might use the audit log in critical ways. I understand from a programming Perspective (pun intended) that it was probably just missed, but great to see that it’s gained traction in short time!

PS. I’ve edited my words in the OP which were written “in the heat of the moment”, as they say :flushed:

2 Likes