[BUG-11343] Gateway Restore... also

Having similar issues after attempting to restore from a 7.9.9 version to bring my projects in…

Install didn’t like the upgrade, but clean install seemed to work better. Are we just being impatient on the upgrade? How long should it take to go from 7.9.9 to 8.0.0?

Also as seen in previous posts, on the host machine it doesn’t get past the “starting” screen when I just leave that window up.

Also at upgrade, with a remote connection, I get the “gateway shutting down” and then the “gateway status unknown”, this window also never transitions. On either the host machine or remotely, if I try to connect with another tab, I get the “can’t reach this page” message…

I pulled logs from after the successful install of 8.0.0, including a license activation, and after the attempted gateway restoration…wrapper.log (54.0 KB)

Win10,
Using Microsoft Edge for the browser
Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 17.17134

1 Like

Thread was closed while I was attempting to reply…

STATUS | wrapper  | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | Launching a JVM...
INFO   | jvm 2    | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option PermSize; support was removed in 8.0
INFO   | jvm 2    | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
INFO   | jvm 2    | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | Unrecognized VM option 'CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled'
INFO   | jvm 2    | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
INFO   | jvm 2    | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
ERROR  | wrapper  | 2018/11/06 11:20:09 | JVM exited while loading the application

Go into the ignition.conf file in the data/ directory and remove any wrapper.java.additional.<> parameters (particularly, something like wrapper.java.additional.5=-XXCMSPermGenSweepingEnabled=true)

1 Like

All wrapper.java.additional.# parameters or just that specific one?

Sorry, I just saw your comment about “any”… guessing I should restart the gateway after the change?

Go ahead and post what your parameters are - at least one is probably necessary, but any garbage collection related ones can be removed with embedded Java 11. And yes, after modifying the .conf file you’ll need to restart the service.

Java Additional Parameters

#wrapper.java.additional.1=-XX:PermSize=64m
#wrapper.java.additional.2=-XX:MaxPermSize=128m
#wrapper.java.additional.3=-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
#wrapper.java.additional.4=-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
#wrapper.java.additional.5=-XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled
#wrapper.java.additional.6=-Ddata.dir=data
#wrapper.java.additional.7=-Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false
#wrapper.java.additional.8=-Xdebug
#wrapper.java.additional.9=-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000

… wow, guess it didn’t like my copy/paste

Those are the only ones you need out of that list - the rest are either deprecated garbage collection flags, or only needed for remote debugging (which you wouldn't need to worry about).

4 posts were split to a new topic: [BUG-11569] Upgrades via Installer create rogue “Program” file