[BUG-3422] Nuisance collapsing expanded containers in project browser ignition 8 designer 1.1.0

The project browser collapses containers I had expanded for editing when I finish a rename:

I am using flex containers in perspective.
Inside these I have more flex containers.
Inside those, I have flex containers.
Inside those I have three different labels.

There around 60 of these sets of 3.

For each and every one of these labels, when I update the name to keep the project browser organized, the project browser reverts from letting me see the objects I am editing, to showing me perspective view with all the relevant expanded flex containers collapsed.

This isn’t going to be the last time that I enter in all of these kinds of edits for so many machines.

I am using designer 1.1.0 in Ignition 8

edit, it also applies to when I rename a flex container as well haha

I am able to save time if select the object in the preview rather than using the project browser that is collapsing. I forgot I could do that. Wish I could edit them from the browser though.

I think if the tags and names were simpler, I might have been able to construct these in a faster ways.

1 Like

This is still an issue in 8.1.5. Very frustrating.

3 Likes

And another one… If you’re wondering why I have mouse trails on, I have a 27" 4K monitor set to 100% scaling and I was losing my cursor… 27" isn’t the best size for 4K :confused:

At the start, the last item I was trying to select was already selected on the View. The tree only collapses if the component isn’t already selected on the View and you go to select it from the project tree. So I had to first unselect the component in the View.

And still in 8.1.7 @PGriffith can you check if this is in your system and when it’s likely to be fixed? It’s extremely frustrating when trying to name components logically… so much so that sometimes I just don’t :confused:

I’m not on the Perspective team, but I filed (possibly a duplicate) ticket to get this in front of them for attention.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! :slight_smile: Who would be a better person to ping for Perspective in the future?

Thanks for posting more and making the videos

I am bumping into this more and more as I do things as well.

Some I can work around, and some I can’t.

Also, thanks PGriffith and team

Jokes aside, it's going to be hard to give a definitive answer that doesn't throw somebody under the bus, so, I think the general strategy of 'keep the threads about really annoying issues alive by continually bumping them until someone from IA notices' is a decent one :wink:
A support ticket also isn't a bad path to getting an actual ticket filed.

4 Likes

I’m having this same issue, which hasn’t been resolved. It’s starting to be a real pain in the bottom, to be honest. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Still having this issue in 8.1.18. In fact it appears to have gotten far worse… it’s almost unusable to be honest - it goes far beyond being a nuisance

Edit:
I double clicked on a component in the View graphic area and now the project tree seems to be behaving… Single clicking on a component however doesn’t fix it. And it comes back for each new view opened. It also only fixes it for components within the container you double clicked on. If you try to click on components at sibling or parent levels from the container you double clicked on, the tree just collapses again :confused:
This has to be one of the more infuriating bugs that increases dev time significantly, if not stifling it altogether…

Edit 2:
It seems to only affect Views with nested components. E.g. view.root.FlexContainer.<components>. Clicking on <components> will collapse the View tree.

The most basic replicable example I can provide is (view json):

{
  "custom": {},
  "params": {},
  "props": {},
  "root": {
    "children": [
      {
        "children": [
          {
            "meta": {
              "name": "FlexContainer"
            },
            "position": {
              "basis": "375px"
            },
            "props": {
              "style": {
                "borderStyle": "solid"
              }
            },
            "type": "ia.container.flex"
          }
        ],
          "name": "FlexContainer"
        },
        "position": {
          "height": 472,
          "width": 516,
          "x": 198,
          "y": 196
        },
        "props": {
          "style": {
            "borderStyle": "solid"
          }
        },
        "type": "ia.container.flex"
      }
    ],
      "name": "root"
    },
    "type": "ia.container.coord"
  }
}

I’ve filed a support ticket

Edit 3:
My laptop updated Windows last night and rebooted, and now the issue is gone :roll_eyes: maybe I should just reboot my laptop more frequently than every month or so

4 Likes

Can anyone in this thread speak to whether they frequently use the search/filter text box at the top of the project browser? As in, so frequently that you might have used it at some point in the design session(s) where you were having these issues?

Hello @PGriffith.
I still have this issue and in my particular case it’s not connected to the use of the search/filter box. I’ve just tested it: opened the Designer, browsed to a pretty deeply nested view and the tree collapsed itself.

1 Like

The tree sometimes collapses for me to,
i dont really use the search box for the project browser.

1 Like

edit: mixed up project browser filter with the property editor filter at first.
I am using 8.1.0 currently.
I think the project browser filter is not as effective as the filter for the property editor.
It shows me folders that I need to expand to get to the page instead of the pages.
Not sure I would use it if it worked more like the property editor though either as I want to keep track of the folder structure.
Sorry, I think you asked for users of it.

Never used the search box.
The browser tree is doing whatever it wants. As it seems to be the case for @nminchin , it’s gotten VERY frustrating since updating to 8.1.18.

1 Like

Using 8.1.0
I tested the project browser filter feature some, and now I am I am getting an issue as described here:

I did a gateway restart, and I have not had the project browser close folders on me when I clicked objects inside browser since. I will avoid touching the filter.
Though I retain the initial issue with collapsing containers when modifying objects like labels.

I echo most of the comments here… never used the filter/search box.

same issue this is painful and should be number 1 priority but min minimizes the entire project browser does anyone else have 2 designers open when this happens?

Not much help if you don't give a version

from the other thread:

1 Like