[Bug-5869] Popup Resize Broken in 8.1.16

It seems that the content of popups do not resize since 8.1.16. Most of our popups are flex containers, with their content responsive to the size.

Since 8.1.16, the content only resizes if the popup was called with size information present. This applies to the native popup action and scripted popup called.

The results appear as follows:

This project demonstrates the bug:
PopupTest_20220503101014.zip (14.0 KB)

4 Likes

This is currently a known bug on our end that occurs in 8.1.16. We have an internal ticket created for this. Thank you for keeping us aware and for sharing the project.

The workaround is to set the popup’s Width/Height size to any value besides Auto.

1 Like

Is there a timeframe for a fix for this issue?

This issue was fixed as part of 8.1.19

1 Like

The bug seems to be back in 8.1.23 - anyone else experiencing this?

As part of the fix for this issue we also placed automated testing which exercises the fix and verifies Views expand to fill the available space of Popups as their dimensions change during resize events. This testing is passing nightly (8.1.25Nightly), but we never saw any failures of this testing during 8.1.24 or 8.1.23. If you're encountering this issue, please provide an in-depth example of the setup with which you're encountering this issue so that we can work to replicate it and determine what our automated testing might be missing.

We specifically need to know what container type is being used for the View of your Popup. Screenshots of why you think this bug has re-emerged would also be very helpful.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll try to do some more exhaustive testing and post back if I can reliably replicate it with all instances.

OK, I'm able to replicate it reliably.

I have created a new project with a Home display (Coordinate container) and a popup. The popup is a flex container. On the home display I have a button that calls the popup with the following script:

system.perspective.openPopup(
		'TestId',
		'Popup',
		title = 'Testing Popup Scaling',
		resizable = True
	)

In the popup there is just one object - a label, set to auto basis with grow and shrink set to 1. I have set the background of the label to a red colour so I can see the actual size of the label. In the designer, I can drag the size of the view larger and smaller, and the label grows and shrinks as you'd expect to always be the full size of the view:

But at runtime, when I click the button to open the popup, and then resize the popup, the label stays at the same size when I resize the popup:

I have tested this in Safari and Firefox (on Mac).

I have attached a project export. Ignition version is 8.1.23 (b2022121308)
Testing_20230216102722.zip (8.7 KB)

This is all highly suspicious...

While using the same build, I am unable to replicate the issue with the resources you've provided across Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.

Gateway with specified build:

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 3.15.22 PM

Active session on that environment, after having resized the Popup:

While I've renamed the project and removed inheritance of the Global project, neither of those aspects should impact this project. It would be interesting if this project truly inherited from the global project declared in the export, but without the global project I'll have to rely on you to let me know.

I can't post the global project publicly, but if you have somewhere I can send it to you privately I'm happy to send that and/or a complete gateway backup.

This is really quite odd.

Edit: For what it's worth, I just turned off project inheritance for that project and tested again - same results

Let me get someone else to test it out tomorrow before we worry about the global project because there should be no reason for that to matter.

1 Like

I just attempted this with the attached project and all is functioning as expected. I am on a Mac as well and tested with Chrome/FF/Safari.

So, any ideas what it could be about our particular environment that causes this to behave differently? Is our Docker instance haunted? :rofl: