[BUG-9263] Designer Launcher Fails to Launch

After upgrading Ignition to 8.1.35 installed @ C:\Inductive Automation\Ignition\ and reinstalling the Designer Launcher there is no joy launching the Designer... double clicking the desktop icon results in a silent failure... just nothing.

This is really frustrating... I can't revert back to an old version and make it work and now the new version won't allow the Designer to launch either. Any help recovering access to the Designer is greatly appreciated.

After attempting to launch a Designer, there should be a log entry in ~/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/designer.log that lists the full command used when attempting to launch.

If you copy that full command and paste it into a terminal and run it you'll hopefully get more information or an error message or something.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find the directory that you reference... I searched C: for the reference /.ignition/clientlauncher-data/designer.log and there was no result.

oops, might actually be designerlauncher.log.

No that didn't work either... so in the interim I have uninstalled the Designer Launcher... reinstalled... still no response.

Would this have to do with a unique installation location for the Gateway: C:\Inductive Automation\Ignition\ ?

At this point I have no idea what to do to recover.

I finally found the log file, copied the launch command into a command window and the resulting action launched the designer...

Below are the relevant entries in the log:

INFO [LaunchUtil ] [2024/02/12 15:46:46]: Starting Java with the following parameters: C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.8\bin\java.exe -classpath C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\platform\launchclient.jar\000000004995CA16\launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=http://localhost:8088 -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1707781606940 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Djavaws.sr.platform.plugins= -Xms64M -Xmx1024M -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 -Djavaws.sr.scope=D com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing
INFO [GatewayConnect ] [2024/02/12 15:49:20]: Attempting to connect to gateway http://localhost:8088...
INFO [GatewayConnectionService ] [2024/02/12 15:49:20]: A Launcher update is available at http://localhost:8088/web/designer-launchers
INFO [LaunchUtil ] [2024/02/12 15:49:21]: Starting Java with the following parameters: C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.8\bin\java.exe -classpath C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\platform\launchclient.jar\000000004995CA16\launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=http://localhost:8088 -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1707781761900 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Djavaws.sr.platform.plugins= -Xms64M -Xmx1024M -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 -Djavaws.sr.scope=D com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing
INFO [DesignerLauncher ] [2024/02/12 15:55:06]: Set initial logging level to INFO
INFO [DesignerLauncher ] [2024/02/12 16:06:11]: Set initial logging level to INFO
INFO [GatewayConnect ] [2024/02/12 16:06:16]: Attempting to connect to gateway http://localhost:8088...
INFO [GatewayConnectionService ] [2024/02/12 16:06:16]: A Launcher update is available at http://localhost:8088/web/designer-launchers
ERROR [LaunchUtil ] [2024/02/12 16:06:26]: Launch Error Occurred: Gateway could not be reached or was inactive
INFO [DesignerLauncher ] [2024/02/12 16:08:21]: Set initial logging level to INFO
INFO [GatewayConnect ] [2024/02/12 16:08:30]: Attempting to connect to gateway http://localhost:8088...
INFO [GatewayConnectionService ] [2024/02/12 16:08:30]: A Launcher update is available at http://localhost:8088/web/designer-launchers
ERROR [LaunchUtil ] [2024/02/12 16:08:36]: Launch Error Occurred: Gateway could not be reached or was inactive

Below are what I assume to be relevant elements of the response in the command window:

Third party Python modules downloaded. Downloading "http://localhost:8088/system/translations/"... Connect successful. Starting download of 428 bytes Download successful Downloading the required Runtime for this gateways' clients. Connect successful. Descrambling runtime bytes. Existing cached launchclient jar file 'C:\Users\slolson1\.ignition\cache\resources\platform\launchclient.jar\00000000A87824EE\launchclient.jar' can be used. Releasing Client Cache Lock: 0 Feb 12, 2024 10:37:45 PM com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.model.JpmsModule toJvmArgs WARNING: module java.desktop does not contain package com.apple.eawt Feb 12, 2024 10:37:45 PM com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.model.JpmsModule toJvmArgs WARNING: module java.desktop does not contain package com.sun.awt Running: [C:\Users\slolson1\.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.9\bin\java.exe, -cp, C:\Users\slolson1\.ignition\cache\launchclient_44346185.jar, -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.event=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.tree=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.image=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.shell=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.table=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.print=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.base/sun.security.action=ALL-UNNAMED, -Djavaws.sr.scope=D, -Dia.retarget.token=44346185, -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M, -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M, -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition=, -Dedition=, -Xms64M, -Xmx1024M, com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing] Launched JVM.

You are using an old launcher with a newer gateway. That might matter.

C:\Users\slolson1\.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.9\bin\java.exe, -cp, C:\Users\slolson1\.ignition\cache\launchclient_44346185.jar, -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.event=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.tree=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.image=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.shell=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.table=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.print=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.base/sun.security.action=ALL-UNNAMED, -Djavaws.sr.scope=D, -Dia.retarget.token=44346185, -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M, -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M, -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition=, -Dedition=, -Xms64M, -Xmx1024M, com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing

This is the command to copy, paste, and run in a new command prompt.

Thanks Kevin... please see the post above for the response in the command window.

Thank you for the insight... I will explore this option.

Everything you posted looks like content from the designerlauncher.log file?

Allow me to describe the steps:

1. Launch the Gateway, Login and Reset the trial.

2. Attempt to run the Designer Launcher; it subsequently fails silently.

3. Grab the most recent launch command from C:\Users\username.ignition\clientlauncher-data\designerlauncher.log and run in a command window.

4. Following is the launch command: C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.8\bin\java.exe -classpath C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\platform\launchclient.jar\000000004995CA16\launchclient.jar -Djavaws.sr.gateway.addr.0=http://localhost:8088 -Djavaws.sr.launchts=1707781761900 -Djavaws.sr.main=com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.DesignerStartupHook -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition= -Djavaws.sr.platform.plugins= -Xms64M -Xmx1024M -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -Djavaws.sr.screen=0 -Djavaws.sr.scope=D com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing

5. The Designer Login Window appears and after logging in the designer appears.

6. The following relevant information is posted in the command window:
    Third party Python modules downloaded.
    Downloading "http://localhost:8088/system/translations/"...
    Connect successful.
    Starting download of 428 bytes
    Download successful
    Downloading the required Runtime for this gateways' clients.
    Connect successful.
    Descrambling runtime bytes.
    Existing cached launchclient jar file 'C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\platform\launchclient.jar\00000000A87824EE\launchclient.jar' can be used.
    Releasing Client Cache Lock: 0
    Feb 13, 2024 8:24:23 AM com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.model.JpmsModule toJvmArgs
    WARNING: module java.desktop does not contain package com.apple.eawt
    Feb 13, 2024 8:24:23 AM com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.model.JpmsModule toJvmArgs
    WARNING: module java.desktop does not contain package com.sun.awt
    Running: [C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\resources\runtimes\17.0.9\bin\java.exe, -cp, C:\Users\slolson1.ignition\cache\launchclient_ED8BB1B2.jar, -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.event=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.tree=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.image=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.shell=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.awt.windows=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.plaf.synth=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.swing.table=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.desktop/sun.print=ALL-UNNAMED, --add-exports=java.base/sun.security.action=ALL-UNNAMED, -Djavaws.sr.scope=D, -Dia.retarget.token=ED8BB1B2, -Djavaws.sr.memory.init=64M, -Djavaws.sr.memory.max=1024M, -Djavaws.sr.platform.edition=, -Dedition=, -Xms64M, -Xmx1024M, com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.launch.BootstrapSwing]
    Launched JVM.

Ok, I think I'm tracking now. You can launch a Designer with the command, but it's the Designer Launcher you can't get to work right now?

Did you try downloading/installing the matching version from the Ignition Gateway like Phil suggested?

I'm challenged to understand how to insure that I have the proper version of the Designer Launcher with respect to the Gateway version I have installed... all I can see to do is click the Get the Designer from the Home tab of the Gateway and follow the steps to download whatever version is presented. How to know if I have the proper version?

*** See comments below to understand how to download any specific version of the Designer Launcher ***

Heh, if the Designer Launcher would open, there is an About dialog that shows what version it is.

The Designer Launcher version isn't really supposed to matter, it should work with any version of the Gateway, but we're just trying get it working at this point.

Maybe you should just give support a call and let them take a look.

Thank you all for the time and effort to resolve... I will follow up with support.

I have some additional insight from the support group on this issue... as it seems Designer Launcher version 8.1.32 and older versions do NOT exhibit the anomaly of silent failure on launch; a bug lurks in newer versions.

And just to share with new developers such as myself that version 8.1.32 is found on this Ignition download page https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/archive/8.1.32:

Scroll down to find to find the 'Launchers' section:

1 Like

Hmm, the mystery msvcrt.dll error in the Windows event viewer then?

Indeed that was a directory requested by support for further trouble shooting.