Calling PostegreSQL 11 Stored Procedures

Maybe my question is more about JDBC. This is my first project with PostgreSQL, after 4+ years MS SQL Server projects. Ignition is version 7.9.10, PostgreSQL server v. 11, JDBC driver is postgresql-42.2.5.jar (instead of the postgresql-9.1-901.jdbc4.jar which comes with the standard Ignition installation - I had some issues defining users).
Trying to call a stored procedure in the MS SQL Server way, i.e. something like that

call = system.db.createSProcCall("logs.usp_log_steps")
call.registerInParam(1, system.db.INTEGER, nr_caldera)
call.registerInParam(2, system.db.INTEGER, prev_step)
call.registerInParam(3, system.db.INTEGER, curr_step)
system.db.execSProcCall(call)

I’m getting the following exception:

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: logs.usp_log_steps(integer, integer, integer) is a procedure
  Suggerimento: To call a procedure, use CALL.

I then revert to the following code:

query="call logs.usp_log_steps(?,?,?)"
args=[nr_caldera,prev_step,curr_step]
system.db.runPrepUpdate( query, args)

and all is working correctly.
A couple of questions:

• is it really not possible to call a procedure as in the first example?
  • If I have OUT parameters and I’m forced to go the second way, how can I get the returnig values back?
  • Going this second way, how can I define parameters types? Are they inferred from the Python variables types? As I can see, that could be a problem: a procedure of mine has a smallint parameter, but the calling python code wants that parameter to be of type integer, causing an exception to be thrown.

Thanks in advance, regards

Seems like a bug. { I haven't deployed any pg11 yet.... }

I found a bug when inserting DECIMAL types; most likely is the MSSQL JDBC’s fault.

So I created a very simple proof of concept where I call system.db.runPrepUpdate, system.db.runUpdateQuery, and system.db.execSProcCall for MSSQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

The value that gets truncated when calling system.db.execSProcCall is of type DECIMAL(15, 8). Something like this:

call = system.db.createSProcCall(procedureName="[dbo].[decimal_test_insert]", database=MSSQL")
call.registerInParam("val", system.db.DECIMAL, 0.00060606)

That call inserts 0.0006, not the whole number. But when I set the type to system.db.FLOAT, it inserts the full number.

I found no issue on MySQL when calling the stored procedure and passing DECIMAL as type.

So, to my point.

I am no PostgreSQL expert, but I was expecting I would be able to use the same code to call a procedure using the same functions. Instead I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<event:actionPerformed>", line 3, in <module>
java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Exception: Error executing system.db.execSProcCall()

caused by Exception: Error executing system.db.execSProcCall()
	caused by GatewayException: Method org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(String,Object,int) is not yet implemented.
	caused by SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: Method org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(String,Object,int) is not yet implemented.

Ignition v8.0.14 (b2020062220)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.6

The code I use for calling the procedure is the same as the first snippet.

As @pgmo pointed out, runnig a system.db.run[Prep]Update[Query] does work, but not system.db.execSProcCall.

Code that works:

system.db.runUpdateQuery(
	query="call public.decimal_test_insert(?)".format(0.00060606),
	database="POSTGRESQL"
)

Any clues?

Jython doesn’t have its own decimal type, so any constants in your code that have decimal points will first be treated as double. Then converted in the JDBC driver. Consider constructing a true java BigDecimal object to be your test constant. That is undoubtedly what the JDBC driver expects as the native java type corresponding to the SQL DECIMAL type.

1 Like

I have tried the following:

from java.math import BigDecimal, BigInteger
bigint= BigInteger('60606')
scale = 8
val = BigDecimal(bigint, scale)
call = system.db.createSProcCall(procedureName="[dbo].[decimal_test_insert]", database="MSSQL")
call.registerInParam("val", system.db.DECIMAL, val)
call.registerInParam("method", system.db.VARCHAR, "execSProcCall - DECIMAL")

The inserted value remains the same; 0.0006.

On the Script Console the same code calling BigDecimal produces the expected number to be inserted:

print BigDecimal(BigInteger('60606'), 8)

# Output
>>>
>>>

Raw view of the db table:

val                                     method
--------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
0.00060606                              runPrepUpdate - INSERT
0.00060606                              runUpdateQuery - calling sproc
0.00060000                              execSProcCall - DECIMAL
0.00060606                              execSProcCall - FLOAT

I have a ticket open with Support for this issue, and another over at GitHub for the JDBC driver, just to cover all possible sources.

Thanks!

1 Like

So. Is it all possible to call a PostgreSQL Procedure from Ignition?

Table definition:

-- Table: public.decimal_test

-- DROP TABLE public.decimal_test;

CREATE TABLE public.decimal_test
(
    val numeric(15,8),
    src character varying(50) COLLATE pg_catalog."default"
)

TABLESPACE pg_default;

ALTER TABLE public.decimal_test
    OWNER to postgres;

Procedure with named arguments:

-- PROCEDURE: public.decimal_test_insert(numeric, character varying)

-- DROP PROCEDURE public.decimal_test_insert(numeric, character varying);

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE public.decimal_test_insert(
	val numeric,
	src character varying)
LANGUAGE 'sql'
AS $BODY$
	INSERT INTO public.decimal_test (
		val,
		src
	)
	VALUES (
		val,
		src
	);
$BODY$;

When registering input parameters by name, like this:

bigint= BigInteger('80808')
scale = 8

call = system.db.createSProcCall(procedureName="public.decimal_test_insert", database="MBAPOSTGRESQL")
call.registerInParam("val", system.db.DECIMAL, val)
call.registerInParam("src", system.db.VARCHAR, "execSProcCall - DECIMAL")

I get the following:

Caused by: java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: Method org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(String,Object,int) is not yet implemented.

Full traceback:

Java Traceback:
  File "<input>", line 10, in <module>
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.error(AbstractDBUtilities.java:362)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.execSProcCall(AbstractDBUtilities.java:497)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Exception: Error executing system.db.execSProcCall()

at org.python.core.Py.JavaError(Py.java:552)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.error(AbstractDBUtilities.java:362)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.execSProcCall(AbstractDBUtilities.java:497)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:188)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ReflectedInstanceFunction.__call__(ScriptManager.java:524)

at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:480)

at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:484)

at org.python.pycode._pyx59.f$0(<input>:10)

at org.python.pycode._pyx59.call_function(<input>)

at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:171)

at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18)

at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1614)

at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java:1658)

at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java:276)

at org.python.util.InteractiveInterpreter.runcode(InteractiveInterpreter.java:131)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gui.tools.jythonconsole.JythonConsole$ConsoleWorker.doInBackground(JythonConsole.java:605)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gui.tools.jythonconsole.JythonConsole$ConsoleWorker.doInBackground(JythonConsole.java:593)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error executing system.db.execSProcCall()

... 26 more

Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Method org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(String,Object,int) is not yet implemented.

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:325)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:934)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.ClientDBUtilities._call(ClientDBUtilities.java:345)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.execSProcCall(AbstractDBUtilities.java:495)

... 24 more

Caused by: java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: Method org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(String,Object,int) is not yet implemented.

at org.postgresql.Driver.notImplemented(Driver.java:692)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.setObject(PgCallableStatement.java:786)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingCallableStatement.setObject(DelegatingCallableStatement.java:1236)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingCallableStatement.setObject(DelegatingCallableStatement.java:1236)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.SRConnectionWrapper$SRCallableStatement.setObject(SRConnectionWrapper.java:1641)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.query.SQLType.setParam(SQLType.java:178)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.script.GatewayDBUtilities._callSProc(GatewayDBUtilities.java:296)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.CallSProc.call(CallSProc.java:42)

at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor50.invoke(null)

at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(null)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.AbstractGatewayFunction.invoke(AbstractGatewayFunction.java:225)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:414)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1391)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:760)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:590)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1607)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1577)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)

at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)

at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

>>> 

When registering by index, like this:

bigint= BigInteger('80808')
scale = 8

call = system.db.createSProcCall(procedureName="public.decimal_test_insert", database="MBAPOSTGRESQL")
call.registerInParam(1, system.db.DECIMAL, val)
call.registerInParam(2, system.db.VARCHAR, "execSProcCall - DECIMAL")

I get this error:

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: public.decimal_test_insert(numeric, character varying) is a procedure
  Hint: To call a procedure, use CALL.
  Position: 15

Full traceback:

Java Traceback:

at org.python.core.Py.JavaError(Py.java:552)

at org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:188)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ReflectedInstanceFunction.__call__(ScriptManager.java:524)

at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:480)

at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:484)

at org.python.pycode._pyx67.f$0(<input>:10)

at org.python.pycode._pyx67.call_function(<input>)

at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:171)

at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18)

at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1614)

at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java:1658)

at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java:276)

at org.python.util.InteractiveInterpreter.runcode(InteractiveInterpreter.java:131)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gui.tools.jythonconsole.JythonConsole$ConsoleWorker.doInBackground(JythonConsole.java:605)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.gui.tools.jythonconsole.JythonConsole$ConsoleWorker.doInBackground(JythonConsole.java:593)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error executing system.db.execSProcCall()

... 26 more

Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: ERROR: public.decimal_test_insert(numeric, character varying) is a procedure

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:325)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:278)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:934)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.script.ClientDBUtilities._call(ClientDBUtilities.java:345)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.builtin.AbstractDBUtilities.execSProcCall(AbstractDBUtilities.java:495)

... 24 more

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: public.decimal_test_insert(numeric, character varying) is a procedure

at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2532)

at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2267)

at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:312)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.executeInternal(PgStatement.java:448)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.execute(PgStatement.java:369)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgPreparedStatement.executeWithFlags(PgPreparedStatement.java:153)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgCallableStatement.executeWithFlags(PgCallableStatement.java:77)

at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgPreparedStatement.execute(PgPreparedStatement.java:142)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.execute(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:94)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingPreparedStatement.execute(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:94)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.datasource.SRConnectionWrapper$SRPreparedStatement.execute(SRConnectionWrapper.java:995)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.script.GatewayDBUtilities._callSProc(GatewayDBUtilities.java:310)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.CallSProc.call(CallSProc.java:42)

at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor50.invoke(null)

at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(null)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(null)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.AbstractGatewayFunction.invoke(AbstractGatewayFunction.java:225)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:414)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsyncServlet.service(ServletHolder.java:1391)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:760)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)

at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:590)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1607)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1297)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)

at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:485)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1577)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1212)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)

at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:500)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:383)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:547)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:375)

at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:270)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)

at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:336)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:313)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:171)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:129)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:388)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:806)

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:938)

at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

What version of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver are you using?

PostgreSQL JDBC 4.2 Driver, 42.2.14