Click PLC Communication with Ignition

How did you get your Click PLC connected? I can get my Ignition to connect at all. I don't even get a response from the PLC. How did you configure your PLC and Ignition to communicate together.

Has anyone had any luck with getting Ignition to talk with a Click PLC over Modbus TCP? I cannot get Ignition to connect to my Click PLC, the PLC will never respond to the connection request.

I moved your other comment here. Cross posting/double posting is against this forum's rules.

Can you get a wireshark capture on the gateway to see what traffic, if any, is happening?

Can you ping the CLICK from the Ignition gateway? Did you setup your addresses in the ModBus TCP? Note that you need to drop 0,1,3, or 4 from the beginning of your address that is handled when you select the register type -Connecting to Click PLC for tags?

1 Like

I decided to do a new post instead of replying. I was on the phone with support yesterday to do some troubleshooting, but got nowhere. We did use Wireshark and all we saw is the Ignition Gateway reaching out to the PLC, but the PLC never replying. I am able to ping the PLC and connect to the PLC with the native programming software on the same machine that I have the Gateway running on. I don't know if I'm missing a configuration in the PLC or something.

Do the addresses need to be setup in the Modbus TCP for the PLC to connect? I saw that post, but it didn't seem to get me anywhere.

If you go to status > Connections > Devices, click details on the specific device, then change min level to trace, do you get any useful info? Perhaps you need a specific port open? You could always temporarily disable your firewall to prove that.

Did that as well with Support. Because the PLC is not replying, it just times out. I disabled the firewall, tried telnet, and Simply Modbu to test the connection. Got no where with either. There has to be something simple I'm missing.

Who is support, Automation Direct (AD) or Inductive Automation (IA)? I'd try IA well before I'd use AD.

That's nice, but in this case it seems like he's done that and it's squarely an AD problem. Our support guys aren't going to know anything about this PLC or how to enable Modbus on it.

1 Like

just some things to check:

in the click plc software under Com Port 1 Setup>Modbus TCP:
make sure enable modbus tcp server is setup and the tcp port number is 502 which is standard for modbus tcp.

also make sure under the com port setup you dont have an allow list setup that would block communications from your ignition server.

if that is setup and you cant connect with a modbus polling client like simply modbus or modbus poll you have an issue with your network. Modbus is default in the click and unless someone changed the settings I am talking about you should be able to connect with no issue unless you have 502 port traffic being blocked.

I have communicated modbus to many click plc's but never used the IA driver. but no reason you shouldnt be able to or why you wouldnt be able to using a different modbus polling engine if you verify what I said above.

I'm kicking myself now... It is a network issue. I had the PLC on WiFi so I decided to just run a cable from a near by network switch and hardwire the thing, now the Gateway connects! Now I just need to setup the tags and see if I can actually get something out of the PLC.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Ignition defaults to unit/slave ID 0 when not explicitly specified in the address. If you're running into problems try 1. Probably the most common issue. Next would be zero- vs one-based addressing.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually trying it now while I have the PLC connected, but not having much luck. Assuming I have the address mapping correct, what would I use for my OPC Item Path in the designer? I'm trying to pull the DF float tags.

This is my address mapping:

Don't use the address map.

Just create an OPC tag, and the OPC Item Path will be something like: [DeviceName]2.HRF29671

(first address you attempted with your mapping)

Whether the details (unit id, address) are correct I couldn't tell you...

1 Like

Perfect! You must have done this a time or two. I should have posted earlier. Been fighting this most of the week.

with the automation direct BRX plc , they have Modbus address register which must be used with the subscribe and publish function for their holding registers.

For the click PLC, you can assign a your usual PLC addresses to a Modbus address which are in both hex and decimal. You have to use the send and receive instructions to be able to see your data.

Remember that you might need to allow two adjacent addresses for floating points(use the first address and the send or receive instructions will handle the concatenation. You might have to enable word swap in the instructions)

These

decimal address should still apply for Click PLC