CompactLogix v32 connectivity lost

Hi folks,

Ignition 7.9.6

We’ve got a v32 5069 processor that’s been running and connected for several months with no issues. Over the weekend, it seems to have lost connectivity to Ignition. We’ve power cycled the device, restarted the logix driver, it just won’t connect properly.

In the gateway, it shows as “Connected,” but I cannot view the details.

In the log, we get the following:

LogixDriver	01Feb2021 11:35:37
	Browse failed: com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipResponseException: status=0x05 [path destination unknown] , additional=[0x0000]
java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipResponseException: status=0x05 [path destination unknown] , additional=[0x0000]
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.encodeThrowable(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeThrowable(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.biRelay(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$BiRelay.tryFire(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$CoCompletion.tryFire(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeExceptionally(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.xopc.drivers.logix.browse.LogixBrowse.lambda$null$20(LogixBrowse.java:271)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.uniWhenComplete(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.xopc.drivers.logix.browse.LogixBrowse.lambda$readTemplateAttributes$22(LogixBrowse.java:310)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniWhenComplete.tryFire(Unknown Source)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipClient.lambda$invokeUnconnected$2(CipClient.java:128)
at java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.complete(Unknown Source)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipClient.lambda$sendUnconnectedData$8(CipClient.java:201)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.EtherNetIpClient$PendingRequest.lambda$new$0(EtherNetIpClient.java:309)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.EtherNetIpClient.onChannelRead(EtherNetIpClient.java:188)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.EtherNetIpClient.access$500(EtherNetIpClient.java:34)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.EtherNetIpClient$EtherNetIpClientHandler.lambda$channelRead0$0(EtherNetIpClient.java:245)
at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask$RunnableExecuteAction.exec(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipResponseException: status=0x05 [path destination unknown] , additional=[0x0000]
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.services.GetAttributeListService.decodeResponse(GetAttributeListService.java:45)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.services.GetAttributeListService.decodeResponse(GetAttributeListService.java:12)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.services.UnconnectedSendService.decodeResponse(UnconnectedSendService.java:122)
at com.digitalpetri.enip.cip.CipClient.lambda$invokeUnconnected$2(CipClient.java:112)
... 22 common frames omitted

Despite my best efforts, I cannot seem to get this device reconnected and I have no idea what’s taken it offline.I expect it may be related to the Logix driver version, but it still leaves me wondering why it ran fine for the last 6 months. Thoughts?

Cheers.

I think you’re running into a firmware bug we’ve seen a few times before.

If you were to upgrade to the latest 7.9 version I suspect it would connect but you’d fine some tags were unavailable. In older versions before we had first seen the bug the entire connection process gets derailed by this.

Re-downloading the program is the only way to fix it regardless of the version.

Thanks, Kevin, for the reply.

To be clear, re-downloading to the PLC is the recommended fix? Consider this a “Click yes to continue” popup. :wink: I’m always hesitant to go down that path (taking it offline), but can do so.

Cheers!

In every case we’ve seen it so far re-downloading the program immediately clears it up.

edit: I think usually, though, the customer has already upgraded Ignition to a newer version.

2 Likes

Kevin,

Confirmed, the re-download fixed the issue.

Unfortunately, I’ve already brought up upgrading and it hasn’t gone anywhere - the rest of the company is running 7.8. :man_shrugging:

That said, when I went online to save the project, I encountered a CIP Error: Address Out of Range error in Studio 5000. Seems like Rockwell Technote #BF23652 addresses the issue, and the first recommended fix is also a re-download. Seems like a v32 issue, potentially.

Thank you again for your assistance.
Cheers!

1 Like

We had the exact issue with v32 mentioned in the Technote you linked to. Easily reproduced on my test bed by doing an online edit, then cycling power.

I’ve not had this issue with v33 firmware.

1 Like