Copy, Paste, Delete, Cut, rename, Cancel Paste Become Disabled in Vision

Started doing it on 8.1.24 so I updated to the latest stable, and it is still doing this on all components on a Vision window. Both the right click popup and the main Edit drop down, all the functions are greyed out. I can't delete any label, button, etc. on a window. I have to save, close the window, then re-open and then all functions are restored. Is there some inactivity setting or something I'm not aware of causing this. It's a time drain, but it is recoverable, and it just started it seems recently on a VM windows 10 that I've used for 2 years.

Sorry to ask a silly question but are you in preview mode when you are trying to do these things?

1 Like

No, not in preview mode. Preview mode wouldn't allow right clicking on an object and getting the popup window.

I can click and drag an object around. I can add additional components. Also discovered today, can't use hot keys either when this is happening. Ctrl-D wont duplicate, the delete key wont delete.

To recover i have to close the window, then save to update it, reopen it and then everything is normal for awhile. But then it will do it again shortly. It doesnt coincide with trial timing out, it doesnt coincide with changing a property on a component. I havent narrowed down a pattern, other than perhaps time. Theres no error in the logs.

Can you type into component properties while this is going on? In other words, is the entire keyboard input path broken, or just the global hotkey input path?

I can edit properties no problem. When you right click on the component like a label, the normal edit window pops up. But all the top selections are grey....Copy, Paste, Delete, Cut, etc. Style Customizer and Custom Properties still work. The same selections are greyed if instead of right clicking, i select an object and use the top menu edit. And finally the ahortcut keys for all those actions dont work. Ctrl,-c, ctrl-v, delete, etc. I can still drag in templates, and new components, modify scripts, and any property in the property window. I can copy and paste windows using shortcut keys in the project tree, so the keyboard pipeline itself isnt broken. Its just i lose the ability to copy, paste and delete components in a window unless i close window, do a project save, and reopen the window.

Ok. This is a new one I think, worth opening a formal support ticket.

May be related to this one:

2 Likes

I haven't forgotten or ignored this issue. Yesterday, I ended up with an issue also where designer would not start. So I deleted the .ignition cache. Since then, I have not had a reoccurrence of the copy, paste issue. I'll continue to monitor.

1 Like