Exporting Tags with all properties

Hi, I want to export tags with all their properties, either XML or JSON will do. I have a lot of OPC tags, which each have the properties I want to export. Most of these tags are derived from UDTs.

When I export the tags they look like this

<Tag name="SiteWiring" type="AtomicTag"> </Tag>

I want the tag name plus all its properties, the value, dataType, opcItemPath etc. I can see that this possible but can't find any documentation on it. Any help would be very much appreciated!

How did you export them ?
A standard right click -> export should allow you to get what you want, I'm not quite sure how you'd end up with a simple list of tags without any of their properties... Though I always exported to json, never xml, it would seem rather strange to me that the xml version would contain less data than the json one.

It’s the same with either JSON or XML, I do get some properties when I export tags that are not instances of any of our UDTs. So I assumed there was some setting in the UDT that restricts the properties of an instance being exported… But have not had luck with finding what that is

Ignition has always exported only properties that differ from that property's default value. Otherwise, exports would be bloated by the many dozens of properties that aren't always used.

If you want to obtain the defaults for properties, there are java SDK interfaces that will help you, but do not have formal system.* jython APIs. The set of possible properties varies with installed modules, and can vary by tag provider. If you'd like to explore the possibilities, my latest Exchange resource enumerates them for use in the Perspective implementation of the Tag Report Tool:

Look at the library function exchange.tagReportUtility.providers.getProviderProperties(...) for the technique required.

3 Likes

For future reference, I got most of the results I needed from using the Tag Report tool, adding columns for the properties I required, exporting to .csv and then converting that file to the desired format

1 Like