How to prepare bulk tags in excel/csv file and import into project

Dear Team,

I am new to Ignition and currently exploring the process of importing and exporting tags. I noticed that Ignition supports JSON and XML file formats for this purpose.

Given that I need to work with thousands of tags, I would like to prepare these in Excel/CSV and then import them into the project. Could anyone advise if there is a way to achieve this?

Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Best regards,
Arif

I've not used it personally yet, but there's been some buzz about this tool lately.

2 Likes

Before trying to use my import tool, try to identify naming patterns within those OPC Item Paths (PLC tag names or addresses) that would make sense as members of Ignition-side User Defined Types. This will help you later as you parameterize parts of your user interface, which is greatly helped by regularized naming of leaf nodes in a tag hierarchy.

The tool can then instantiate many such UDT instances with parameters supplying common address/item path parts. Greatly simplifying the spreadsheet and greatly simplifying UI development.

My import tool can also handle arbitrary tags, but you will set yourself up for later miseries if you use that functionality for thousands of tags.