Ignition V8 release

Any update on the release of V8 ?

2 Likes

Certainly not before the conference.

2 Likes

So, AT the conference!!! Woohoo. HAHAHA, just kidding. Hope its coming along good. Can't wait to see it.

3 Likes

Does that mean USB sticks will be available for us to take it home? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Dang! Forgot to ask about Omron FINSā€¦ after all, itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve whined about itā€¦

how about the html5 module or option?

Not part of 8 :frowning:

Part of 8! If we're talking about the same thing?

Yeah I am talking about whatever will allow ignition to be served up in html5 instead of java.

Is it going to be in the first release of 8 or at a later date?

Itā€™s going to be in the first release of 8.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to know what kind of frameworks will be used. (Javascript / backend / ā€¦) . This would prepare integrators a bit.

Is a debugging tool for scripts still part of the release. I recall talking to Carl or Colby at ICC 2016 and they were stating debugging tool would be in Scripting Playground .

1 Like

I doubt this will make it, but it depends on how the the next few months go.

Thatā€™s too bad, because I am sure you guys have heard many times that troubleshooting script is a Royal PITA

1 Like

how many of us currently debug scripts like this ?

14 Likes

Thatā€™s how it was done ā€œback in the dayā€, and how itā€™s still done for many kinds of programming and languages.

We realize how nice it would be to have some better IDE-like features but it just hasnā€™t made the cut yet.

YaBut,

Is not Ignition to be ā€˜above the restā€™ and ā€˜not like the restā€™ :smiling_imp:

1 Like

You might have better luck splitting your code up into more atomic units. Typically making 1 function do 1 thing well (and fail well) makes debugging a lot easier. That includes input/argument validation and proper exception handling. IE: throw early, catch late (or only catch when you can react in a meaningful way)

Granted I know absolutely nothing about what youā€™re doing here, but at a cursory glance Iā€™m confused why something called ā€˜loadTemplateā€™ is updating the database at all.

I agree with your message though, better debugging features would be great. I usually ride the struggle bus anytime I need to write a nested expression function, which gives zero feedback outside of ā€˜evaluation errorā€™ or something similar.

What's this "troubleshooting" of which y'all are speaking? Do the rest of you not write perfect code?
(-;

8 Likes

The load template creates template data to overlay existing data for comparison . This is common in CIP applications.
Template or ā€˜Golden Batchā€™ is in red

1 Like

my code is perfect, end users are just not using it right :grin:

14 Likes