Install Vision Client Launcher for Linux - SOLVED

Hi

How do I install a vision client launcher for linux?

I downloaded the vision client launcher for linux and extracted the file but when I try to execute ./configure to install it, I get the error command not found?

I checked the documentation but I think it only showed the installation for windows.

Move the folder into ~/.local/share/applications
it will be in your applications menu when finished.
If you just want to run it cd to the launcher folder/app
and run ./visionclientlauncher.sh

1 Like

If you’re on Ubuntu, easiest way is to place the designerlauncher folder under ~/.local/share/applications/… “Designer Launcher” will then show up in the search…

1 Like

Ewww! No!

That folder is for .desktop files that point at your applications.

1 Like

Thank you!

I know that it works this way, but you may want to here what @pturmel has to say about using this location. I always defer to him about coding. I use it because it is simple but it may not be proper.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on how to better do it then? Just saying don't do it that way isn't very helpful to people.

Blindly dropping complete applications into a folder standardized to hold just .desktop files is begging for breakage.

If you want to install for all users, expand somewhere in /usr/local/ or /usr/share or /opt, then copy just the .desktop file into /usr/share/applications/. Tweak the paths in the copied file so it points where you actually put the complete application.

Similarly, if you want install just for yourself, but have the icon show in the menu properly, expand into a folder in $HOME, then copy just the .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications. Tweak the copied file for correct paths.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I've had a huge issue with using those directories because of permissions issues. I extracted with sudo in terminal using:
sudo tar xf visionclientlauncher.tar.gz -C /opt/
which worked. But now I can't figure out how to run the launcher .sh file because it's in a restricted directory.

You need to change the permissions (recursively) on the /opt/visionclientlauncher folder (or whatever you called it).

chmod -R 755 /opt/visionclientlauncher maybe?

2 Likes

You make a .desktop file point at the shell script. That avoids the restriction, as long as the shell script is executable.

1 Like

How do I do that? Running in to a permission issue again. Damn I hate linux lol

Thanks Kevin, this allowed me to run the launcher. But I think running the .desktop file like pturmel is suggesting is the proper way to do this. Still trying to figure that out though, lol.

Yep, thought that was what you were having trouble with.

How do I do this with it being in a restricted directory? Maybe this?

chmod -R 755 /opt/visionclientlauncher/visionclientlauncher.desktop

edit: That did not work, "Operation not permitted"

Still trying to figure out how to copy the .desktop file...

You'll have to copy with sudo. I often use sudo su - to make my terminal root, then nano or other tools as needed.

Ok I was finally able to figure out the command...

sudo cp -a /opt/visionclientlauncher/visionclientlauncher.desktop /usr/share/applications

Now that it's where I want it I'm having trouble making sense of the path inside the .desktop file.
The shell file is located at /opt/visionclientlauncher/apps/visionclientlauncher.sh and the path in .desktop file says...

Name=Vision Client Launcher
Exec=bash -c 'cd "$(dirname "$1")/app" && ./visionclientlauncher.sh &' . %k
Path=.

I'm not sure how to format this...

I want to thank you all for your help, I'm a linux noob to say the least. Bare with me just a bit longer I'm almost there!

So, Path=. means "use the current directory". Replace the dot with the absolute path to the folder containing the shell script. Then simplify the bash command line to not do the cd operation.

1 Like

I install in ~/visionclientlauncher/, and my desktop shortcut to the launcher is just this:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.1
Path=/home/philip/visionclientlauncher/app/
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/home/philip/.ignition/clientlauncher-data/images/VisionIcon.png
Name=Client Apps
Exec=/home/philip/visionclientlauncher/app/visionclientlauncher.sh -Dapp.home=/home/philip/.ignition/clientlauncher-data

Fix the paths for your case. Use a substitution to point at the per-user clientlauncher-data folder, if you use one. Perhaps just omit the -Dapp.home= part?

Some docs:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables

2 Likes