Is there a way to read tags inside a component?

I am looking for a way to read a tag’s value form inside a AbstractVisionPanel.

I have tried using “getAppContext().getTagManager().getTag()” but I am not sure if this is the right way :question: . If it is, could you leave an example of getTag? I would greatly appreciation it :smiley:

Hi,

Yes, I think you’re close, I’d just use the read() function on the tag manager. It takes a list of tag paths, so if you don’t have those, you can use TagPathParser#parse to build them. In the client, a blank source means “project default”, so you could do something like:

QualifiedValue value = getAppContext().getTagManager().read(Arrays.asList(TagPathParser.parse("", "my/tag"))).get(0)

I highly doubt you’d have a tag path hard coded in your component, but that would read it.

Regards,

I have copied your line of code, but my IDE and Maven keep showing java.io.IOException; must be caught or declared to be thrown. On the TagPathParser.parse call Not sure what I could be missing.

I am trying to call this in an AbstractVisionComponent.

That's your IDE enforcing java's exception handling. Add a throws clause to your containing method or catch the parse errors within the method.

I neglected to mention I did do that yesterday, and now it will build a .modl but I’m getting a stack trace now with the error Unable to locate function 'SQLTags.read' ... Here is some of the trace:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.RuntimeException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Unable to locate function 'SQLTags.read'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.db.DatasourceTagManager.read(DatasourceTagManager.java:436)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.read(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:192)

That isn’t enough context. Please show the whole error and the code of the method where it occurs.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-2" java.lang.RuntimeException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Unable to locate function 'SQLTags.read'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.db.DatasourceTagManager.read(DatasourceTagManager.java:436)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.ClientTagManagerImpl.read(ClientTagManagerImpl.java:192)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.examples.ce.components.StandardTank.drawTag(StandardTank.java:103)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.examples.ce.components.StandardTank.paintComponent(StandardTank.java:91)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.vision.api.client.components.model.AbstractVisionPanel.paintChildren(AbstractVisionPanel.java:279)
	at com.inductiveautomation.vision.api.client.components.model.AbstractVisionPanel.paintChildren(AbstractVisionPanel.java:279)
	at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JLayeredPane.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1200(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Unable to locate function 'SQLTags.read'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:341)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:315)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:268)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:894)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.db.DatasourceTagManager.read(DatasourceTagManager.java:434)
	... 61 more
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.examples.ce.components.StandardTank.drawTag(StandardTank.java:103)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.examples.ce.components.StandardTank.paintComponent(StandardTank.java:91)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paintDoubleBuffered(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$PaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1200(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Unable to locate function 'SQLTags.read'
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:341)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:315)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:268)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:894)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.sqltags.impl.db.DatasourceTagManager.read(DatasourceTagManager.java:434)
	... 51 more

This is the whole trace. The offending line is a copy/paste of Colby’s code.

I found this thread: Client module with sql tag read?

And was able to get it to work by using

Tag tag = getAppContext().getTagManager().getTag(TagPathParser.parse("", tagPath));

So seems like it is a bug on Ignitions end that has been known about since Feb '17 but not fixed yet.

Oops, yep, doesn’t look like we ever fixed that.

Sounds like a bug that is extremely low priority because it can only be triggered by a module developer, and has a work-around.

Side note: you’re trying to do this inside of a paint() operation? That’s just crazy, as a a visual update should never have to wait for a gateway message/reply. Ideally, painting should never have to involve anything outside the component. You’re begging to have random freezes in your UI.

So low priority it seems we never made a ticket for it...

I just fixed it though... due in ??? for 7.9.??? :dizzy_face:

1 Like

No worries Kevin :slight_smile: Thanks for replying.

Right, fully aware of this. Just getting my feet wet with the SDK and wanted to just read a single tag and display it.

Now that I got the tag read working, I have moved this functionality to a tag subscription that updates the value displayed in the component as the new tag value comes in.

1 Like