OPC UA Connection Faulted After Upgrade

Upgraded Ignition Edge 8.0.16 with a working standard OPC-UA Server running to 8.1.0 and got the following:

java.lang.Exception: OPC server connection is faulted. Type "com.inductiveautomation.OpcUaServerType" is not a known server type.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.newOpcConnection(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:158)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.addAllServers(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:134)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.startup(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:83)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.startupInternal(IgnitionGateway.java:1106)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.redundancy.RedundancyManagerImpl.startup(RedundancyManagerImpl.java:293)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.initRedundancy(IgnitionGateway.java:725)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.lambda$initInternal$0(IgnitionGateway.java:659)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:518)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

8.1.0 (b2020110211)
Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.7

Under OPC-AU Connection in the config shows no OPC Connections. Try to create a new connection and get:

Field 'choice' is required.
but will not let me proceed.

This was the case for 2 different upgrades, the first we have tried. Both use redundant pairs. I tried deleting the certificate files as stated above with no change after restart.

Is the OPC UA module faulted?

1 Like

Ah, yes it is. Says it is not eligible for use with Ignition Edge, unless licensed. I will have to discuss this with our rep. These Edge installations should work as they did before the upgrade.

Yep, sounds like the OPC UA module was unintentionally omitted from your license. I think this license check you’re seeing that results in a faulted module is new for 8.1.

Thanks Kevin!

Our Rep had us reactivate the license and the the modules changed from faulted to running. Other than one anomaly w/ a few modules on one gateway, this did the trick. Be sure to reactivate the license after an upgrade!

Hey guys, I’m having this issue too on a full Ignition install. ‘choice’ is required is what I get when I go to add the OPC connection. This is with Tag Historian and Vision installed. I was on 8.1.20 but decided the upgrade was what was causing the issue so am back at 8.1.3 which was stable.

When I upgraded to 8.1.20 I had to install the OPCUA Server module to get the connections to appear correctly. But in this instance, the None/None security option was not available, so whilst I could still connect to the OPC server, I could not see any tags.

The opc connection that was in my gateway backup is gone when I restore it without the OPCUA Server module installed - which I dont need.

java.lang.Exception: OPC server connection is faulted. Type “com.inductiveautomation.OpcUaServerType” is not a known server type.
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.newOpcConnection(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:158)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.addAllServers(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:134)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opc.OpcConnectionManagerImpl.startup(OpcConnectionManagerImpl.java:83)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.startupInternal(IgnitionGateway.java:1105)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.redundancy.RedundancyManagerImpl.startup(RedundancyManagerImpl.java:293)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.initRedundancy(IgnitionGateway.java:724)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.lambda$initInternal$0(IgnitionGateway.java:658)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$ThrowableCatchingRunnable.run(BasicExecutionEngine.java:538)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

8.1.3 (b2021030309)
Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.9

This error means you probably don't have the OPC UA module installed, or you do but it's faulted.

incorrect. The OPC UA module doesn't just provide the server, it also provides the client functionality.

1 Like

Need help with this, please.

Your screenshot says v8.0.12. Which is ancient and unsupported. You are missing relevant features from the v8.1.x series. For now, look at this topic and recommendations: