OPC-UA External Creation Tool

I don't feel like I'm alone here, but it seems that this might be a relevant topic for others who have multiple designers who probably are dangerous enough, to not allow them access to the gateway.

So here is my thought. If there was an external tool that would come with the developer, to create OPC-UA connections I could grant my "danger developers" access to build their own solutions from the ground up, without having to worry about them changing anything that they are not allowed to on the gateway.

I'm honestly speaking hypothetically, but our IS department is extremely stingy when it comes to any type of server access, and we don't have a department to import every project that is in the works with our army of electrical systems designers (they design the machines from schematic to PLC and HMI). If anyone had any ideas on how I might be able to do this, or maybe someone at Inductive might be willing to take on the challenge. :slight_smile: My skills with ground up software design are not as extensive as I would prefer them to be.

My spreadsheet import tool in the Exchange can create OPC UA connections non-interactively, from a Perspective session. The only caveat is that certificates can only be auto-accepted if your IT is managing all of them under a single certificate authority.

More info here:

You will need to customize the tool's requirement for gateway admin authentication to fit your requirement.

2 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for the quick response, I am going to have to dig into that. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

The universal gateway REST/config API in 8.3 will make this relatively easy as well.

5 Likes