Paid Tech Support lacks knowledge

Spent all day trying to get answers on where to create and store a dictionary.
Spent all day trying to get help on what when I click on the Perspective App it goes to the Gateway even after I reinstalled the app. Cant seem to get help on making a image invisible if the value of the tag is 0 instead of 1. Seems tech support would rather lounge around playing games on there phone that to dig into real issues

Meh. I had a complex problem solved in about an hour today:

Inductive Automation gets kudos all the freaking time from all over the world for their tech support.

Maybe you have unreasonable expectations. In particular, Tech Support != Training.

Now that I have that off my chest, please explain your issue(s) here so we can help you. (Us volunteers...)

38 Likes

Spent all day trying to get answers on where to create and store a dictionary.

Use a custom object property in Perspective? You can store the JSON string to a memory tag or a custom property pretty much anywhere in Ignition as well. Creating a dictionary is also very simple it just depends if you want to create it via scripting or if it is something that a Perspective custom property can handle. Ill need more information on what this dictionary needs to do.

Spent all day trying to get help on what when I click on the Perspective App it goes to the Gateway even after I reinstalled the app.

You must have some type of redirection or something going on here. Send a project export to Support and if we can replicate, we should be able to fix it.

Cant seem to get help on making a image invisible if the value of the tag is 0 instead of 1.

Every component has a "visible" property. You should be able to use a basic expression binding to achieve this. if(tagValue = 1, True, False) something like this.

16 Likes

Hear hear...

16 Likes

Try Rockwell tech support then report back with your comparison.

I understand your frustration, we all get frustrated, but your description of IA support isn't accurate one bit.

15 Likes

Just had great support about an hour ago on something I would not have found. Your description of IA support isn't accurate. One of the best, if not the best.

Cough, Cough RW - I have never been told to uninstall and reinstall the software in 11 years of using the software. That is an accomplishment that RW or WW can't say.

9 Likes

Well since you want to get that off your chest
I was a beta for your software back in the day
Over the last few years 2005 to 2010 I pulled multiple systems and replaced with other SCADA systems
Your software requires multiple modules instead of being integrated and the documentation is not up to date
So much for that

That would mean tech support does not know what they should know

You work there of course you would say that
I work with Rockwell all the time , mush better and more knowledge

I don't know you. I am not an IA employee. I am a happy customer and integrator and module developer defending them from unjust criticism.

21 Likes

It's funny because noone who has replied here in this topic is an IA rep, apart from @ccontreras , but you've assumed we all are.

I can't imagine how they wouldn't have been able to answer your questions, unless you asked them exactly how you asked them in your OP, with no other information (because there's not much to go on in there). Apart from the image visibility, which has already been answered here. But the answer to this is in the user manual and most likely the Inductive University as well

8 Likes

Multiple modules? As in you get to choose what you pay for and what you don't which you don't need? The only thing you need to independently install is a sql database which means you're not tied to a db you may not want to use.

12 Likes

You're already getting more love here than what I thought you would get. Even after your unjust criticism (you literally didn't even have an account until creating one to make this topic), everyone is offering help still. You could have created a topic asking for help and probably gotten the answers you needed.

That being said, I agree with others that technical support is support, not training. If you don't know how to do something, I highly recommend searching the forums, referring to the documentation (have you ever looked at the PDF copy of the manual? It's over 4500 pages), or just asking on the forums if you can't an answer. The manual isn't going to cover all the fundamentals of python scripting either.

Where are you trying to create and store the dictionary? Scripting, Perspective, in a database, or even a file?

What OS are you using with Perspective? Mobile, Windows, Linux, macOS? Is it going to the gateway to have you login, or what do you mean it's going to the gateway?

As @ccontreras said, the image visibility is an easy one and if you go through Inductive University you'd probably find your answer. There's videos on expression bindings for both Vision and Perspective. And an even more simplified expression would be {tagValue}=0 replacing {tagValue} with whatever your tag is.

10 Likes

Honestly, it seems like you're the one who lacks knowledge. The things you're asking tech support are fairly simple to achieve, and the forum probably would've solved it all for you in less than a day.

Over the last few years 2005 to 2010 I pulled multiple systems and replaced with other SCADA systems. Your software requires multiple modules instead of being integrated and the documentation is not up to date.

You're turning people away from Ignition because you are not proficient? You can learn almost everything you need through IU and the forum. I was up to speed from zero to Gold cert in less than 3 months (while also doing other work). I love Ignition. It's such a breath of fresh air coming from Wonderware and FTV SE.

I work with Rockwell all the time , much better and more knowledge

Every experience I've had with IA support is 1000x better than Rockwell.

12 Likes

Has Rockwell resorted to sending undercover salespeople to try to disrupt their competition now? :laughing:

17 Likes

No I was using this software back in version 7
A team I was on evaluated it for usability
We found the software was built form freeware packages of python, java and used browsers as the interface cause they were free also
Meaning the creators built there system off the backs of other people work
We found the different modules and lack on built in help files to be problematic
We recommended to may of our customers to not use the software
Its now version 18 and nothing has really changed, its still a FAN boy software package not of much use in most integrator's portfolio
But every so often even the beggars get a bone or two

You can't even get the versioning right.

5 Likes

Here I was hoping news from the future would be something better than Idiocracy :rofl:

I'm sorry you don't like the software. It's clear you don't have competent experience using it.

6 Likes

Idiocracy

Ignition, It's what integrators crave.

7 Likes

Chiming in only to say that should this thread get too spicy I'll lock it. Be on good behavior, everyone :slight_smile:

9 Likes