PyDataset to Dictionary

Hi,

I have created a pyDataset, 2R x 2C, I would like to convert it to dictionary then to jsonFormat.
An example for the pyDataset,
Header = [Fruit, Cost]
Row1 = [Apple, 5]
Row2 =[Pear, 1]

I have found similar topic as reference but I am still unable to manipulate the dataset into dictionary. http://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/bug-15901-json-encoding-and-decoding-a-dataset-datatype-property/31617

I have manage to do it manually, with the single code below. Is there any alternative to execute it if I have x amount of row and column in my dataset?

NewDict = {“Data1”:{Header[0]:pyData[0][0], Header[1]:pyData[0][1]},“Data2”:{Header[0]:pyData[1][0], Header[1]:pyData[1][1]}}

So the end result will be as follow.
{
“Data1”:{
“Fruit”: “Apple”,
“Cost”: " 5"
},
“Data2”:{
“Fruit”:“Pear”,
“Cost”: “1”
}
}

Thanks in advance!

I manage to solve the conversion, below is the code:

MainData = []
i = 0
while i < pyData.getRowCount():
	MainData.append("Data" + str(i))
	i = i + 1

NewDict = {}
row = 0
col = 0

for j in MainData:
	NewDict[j] = {}
	for k in Header:	
		NewDict[j][k] = pyData.getValueAt(row, col)
		col = col + 1
	row = row + 1
	col = 0

jsonNewStr = system.util.jsonEncode(NewDict, 5)
print jsonNewStr

Just Fyi to be more succinct, you can also use:
for i in range(pyData.getRowCount()):
Then you don’t need the i=0 or the i+=1 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also, if you use zip you can iterate through multiple objects at once.
Also-also, list and dictionary comprehensions are useful to learn.

Header = pyData.getColumnNames()

NewDict= {}
for row, i in zip(pyData, range(pyData.getRowCount())):
	NewDict['Data'+str(i)] = {colName:value for colName, value in zip(Header, list(row))}
9 Likes

I never thought about using zip like that with a for loop to get eaches of both lists… Interesting!

1 Like

I mean, as long as we’re golfing, you can also nest the comprehensions:

NewDict = {
    'Data %s' % i: {
        colName: value
        for colName, value in zip(pyData.columnNames, list(row))
    }
    for i, row in enumerate(pyData)
}
11 Likes

Now you’re just showing off :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I was going to do that, but I wanted to leave something to nerd snipe Paul. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I wrote and use the following:

def dictListToDataset(dictValues, defColumns=None):
	"""
	This will take a python list of dictionaries.  
	The dictionaries will contain Name/Value pairs where the Name field will become the Column Name for the resulting Ignition Dataset.
	Each dictionary row MUST match, it must contain the same Name/Value pairs with the Values being the same data type.

Arguments:
		dictValues: The input list of dictionaries

Results:
		Dataset: A built dataset containing all the Rows and Columns extracted from the dictionaries.
	"""
	logger = shared.MWES.Logging.getLog(lib=libName, src=srcName, autoMethod=True )

data = []
	columns = defColumns
	for obj in dictValues:
		if columns == None:
			columns = obj.keys()
		row = []
		for column in columns:
			row.append(obj[column])
		data.append(row)
	if columns != None:
		logger.debug("Columns %s, Data %s" % (str(columns), str(data)))
		return system.dataset.toDataSet(columns,data)
	else:
		raise ValueError('could not find dictionary keys in %s' % (str(dictValues)))

def datasetToDictList(dataset):
	"""
	This will take an Igntion Dataset and convert it to a real python list of dictionaries.  Unlike the PyDataset type.  
	The resulting dictionaries will contain Name/Value pairs where the Name field is derived from the Column Name in the Ignition Dataset.

Arguments:
		dataset: The input Ignition Dataset

Results:
		List of Dictionary Elements: A built list of dictionary rows containing all the Rows and Columns extracted from the dataset.
	"""
#	logger = shared.MWES.Logging.getLog(lib=libName, src=srcName, autoMethod=True )

data = []
	columns = list(system.dataset.getColumnHeaders(dataset))
	pyDataset = system.dataset.toPyDataSet(dataset)

return pyDatasetToDictList ( pyDataset, columns )	

def pyDatasetToDictList( *args, **kwargs ):
	"""
	This will take an Igntion PyDataset and convert it to a real python list of dictionaries.  Unlike the PyDataset type.  
	The resulting dictionaries will contain Name/Value pairs where the Name field is derived from the Column Name in the Ignition PyDataset.

Arguments:
		pyDataset: The input Ignition PyDataset
		columns: Optional list of column names to extract

Results:
		List of Dictionary Elements: A built list of dictionary rows containing all the Rows and Columns extracted from the dataset.
	"""
#	logger = shared.MWES.Logging.getLog(lib=libName, src=srcName, autoMethod=True )

pyDataset = None
	columns = None

idx = 0
	sz = len(args)
	pyDataset = shared.MWES.Args.getParam( sz, idx, "PyDataset", False, True, args, kwargs )
	idx+=1
	columns = shared.MWES.Args.getParam( sz, idx, "Columns", None, False, args, kwargs )
	idx+=1

data = []
	if pyDataset == None:
		return data

if columns == None:
		columns = list(system.dataset.getColumnHeaders(system.dataset.toDataset(pyDataset)))
	for row in pyDataset:
		rowMap = {}
		for col in columns:
			rowMap[col] = row[col]
		data.append(rowMap)

return data

It would have been really NICE if the pyDataset did the above for us!!!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all the comment. I am still new to python, glad to learn all the different way to execute it.

this isn’t exactly your question, but I just figured it out recently and I think it’s relevant enough that it might help someone:

If you have a python dictionary that you want to save for later you can store it in a memory document datatype tag like this:

myDict = {'some':'stuff'}
myJsonDict = system.util.jsonEncode(myDict)
system.tag.writeAsync(["Document Tag Path"], [myJsonDict])

and then later when you want to use it you can get your dictionary back like this:

myDict = dict(system.tag.read("Document Tag Path").value)
3 Likes

You don’t need the inner comprehension. You can turn the zip directly into a dict.

NewDict = { 
 "Data %d" % i : dict(zip(pyData.columnNames,list(row))) 
     for i,row in enumerate(pyData)
}
8 Likes

Hello humans

I’ve used @sfitze 's code, but I want my table to have this as data and read it as an array.
But it’s making it an object of objects instead of an array of objects.
I can fix it by right clicking in the properties and using ‘change to array’, but it reverts when the data changes.
Is there a way to force it to interpret this as an array of objects?
Thanks

Not in front of anything to test it, but I think that it needs to be a list comprehension:

NewArray = [ 
            dict(zip(pyData.columnNames,list(row))) 
            for i,row in enumerate(pyData)
           ]
2 Likes

I actually managed this by using the my_dictionary.values() as the return, instead of just my_dictionary.
Thanks for the response though! I didn’t get a reply notification for some reason :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would something like this work in this situation?

Imagine several input boxes, numeric, text and drop down, then a button. The button will take all values from the input boxes, and move them into an array of objects. Now, a table is bound to this array. I manually created this array and entered the values: (the name, when copied and pasted, doesn't show, and neither does the object identifier: Name: temp_table, object identifier: 0

[
  {
    "itemID": 1,
    "partNum": "xyz",
    "desc": "test",
    "price": 5,
    "quantity": 10
  }
]

the table displays the field names and values, as expected, BUT, I am not sure how to add another object to this array with the button's script. So I found this thread, which I think might have some value here.

Bottom line of the function I would like is each time the button is clicked, for the values to be added to the array... Hm, unless of course the values are the same...

Even easier than you might think. Instead of static values, point them to your inputBoxes.
EDIT: forgot to check for duplicates

def runAction(self, event):
	data = system.util.jsonDecode(system.util.jsonEncode(self.getSibling("Table").props.data))
	# -or-
	# data = [dict(row) for row in self.getSibling("Table").props.data]

newdata = {
	  	       "itemID": 2,
	  	       "partNum": "abc",
	  	       "desc": "test2",
	  	       "price": 7,
	  	       "quantity": 15
	         }

if newdata not in data:	
		self.getSibling("Table").props.data.append(newdata)

2 Likes