Tag history provider errors - demo expired and generic error

Ignition 8.1.10

Running into a weird issue on a new install. When I added a tag history splitter, suddenly my database connections show ‘Demo Expired’ in Config>Tags>History. The splitter itself shows a generic ‘Error’. I don’t see any errors in the logs.

The database connections are all good, and the server itself is fully licensed, all the modules are installed, etc.

Confusingly, I have 4 other gateways with the same configuration to the same databases, but they don’t give errors. Only difference is that they have a slightly different set of modules - the working gateways are IO gateways, while the broken one is a front-end gateway for Vision. Both have Historian module/licensing.

I tried historizing a tag to see if it was just a labelling fluke as discussed here, but historizing a system tag (CPU usage) and plotting it on an easy chart gave me the following error:

Trace
java.lang.Exception: Error running query:
TagHistory(paths=[histprov:System:/tag:Gateway/Performance/CPU Usage], start=Thu Dec 23 14:02:00 EST 2021, end=Thu Dec 23 14:12:59 EST 2021, flags=0)@0ms
On: Window 1.Root Container.Easy Chart
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.gateway.QueryManager$QueryExecutor.run(QueryManager.java:311)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Error executing tag history query. Please verify that the connection is available, and that tag history is being stored to it.
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:351)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:325)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.runTagHistoryQuery(GatewayInterface.java:780)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.runTagHistoryQuery(GatewayInterface.java:748)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.gateway.GwiTagHistoryProvider.query(GwiTagHistoryProvider.java:16)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.sqltags.history.cache.StandardCacheBucket.loadData(StandardCacheBucket.java:232)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.sqltags.history.cache.StandardCacheBucket.getData(StandardCacheBucket.java:192)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.sqltags.history.cache.SubCache$BucketHit.getData(SubCache.java:215)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.sqltags.history.cache.SubCache.getData(SubCache.java:158)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.sqltags.history.cache.TagHistoryCache.query(TagHistoryCache.java:273)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.gateway.TagHistoryQuery.execute(TagHistoryQuery.java:34)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.gateway.QueryManager$Query.execute(QueryManager.java:668)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.gateway.QueryManager$QueryExecutor.run(QueryManager.java:308)
	... 1 more
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error executing tag history query. Please verify that the connection is available, and that tag history is being stored to it.
	at com.inductiveautomation.gateway.tags.history.query.DatasourceHistoryInterface.maybeLoadIds(DatasourceHistoryInterface.java:115)
	at com.inductiveautomation.gateway.tags.history.query.DatasourceHistoryInterface.getSystemId(DatasourceHistoryInterface.java:159)
	at com.inductiveautomation.gateway.tags.history.query.DatasourceQueryExecutor.initialize(DatasourceQueryExecutor.java:544)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.sqltags.history.query.AggregateHistoryQueryExecutor.initialize(AggregateHistoryQueryExecutor.java:78)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.sqltags.history.query.HistoryWriter.initLoader(HistoryWriter.java:141)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.sqltags.history.query.HistoryWriter.execute(HistoryWriter.java:211)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.sqltags.history.TagHistoryManagerImpl.queryHistory(TagHistoryManagerImpl.java:537)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.tags.model.ProjectDefaultTagManagerFacade.queryHistory(ProjectDefaultTagManagerFacade.java:436)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.gateway.functions.QueryTagHistory.invoke(QueryTagHistory.java:99)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.servlets.Gateway.doPost(Gateway.java:432)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.bootstrap.MapServlet.service(MapServlet.java:86)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder$NotAsync.service(ServletHolder.java:1450)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:799)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$ChainEnd.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1626)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:548)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:602)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1624)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1434)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:501)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1594)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1349)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
	at com.inductiveautomation.catapult.handlers.RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.handle(RemoteHostNameLookupHandler.java:116)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:516)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:633)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:380)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:277)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:338)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:315)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:173)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:131)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:386)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:883)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:1034)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(null)

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

Has anyone seen this before/have any suggestions? As a jumping off point, restarting the tag historian module and the gateway had no impact. I also tried unactivating and activating my gateway - no change.

Thanks in advance!

@Cory.grube Did you ever find a solution?

I see the same issue.

Thanks,

Nick

I meant to reach out to support but never got around to it unfortunately. I handed the project off to others for startup so I’m not sure how it shook out.

Hey Nick, following up on this. The issue is that my gateway had the free Tag Historian Query license, not a Standard license. Basically read only vs read/write.

This is shown on the Status>Systems>Modules page - hovering over the license for the historian will show either edition: standard or edition: query. Assuming you have query, you’ll need to purchase the standard license to get read/write functionality.