Unknown designer timeout exception

I’m experience a very annoying problem with the designer: I’m developing a couple of views and after a while the designer seems to fall on some kind of unstable status, where every time I save or switch through the views the designer hangs until it shows this, not really explanatory, error message:

The real trouble is that usually when this problem arises all the modifications are lost! Even the export and the copy json functionalities doesn’t work.

I’m actually running the latest development version of the gateway, but I had this problem also with the previously installed 8.0.3-rc1. OS is Windows 10 | amd64, java version 11.0.3+7-LTS.
Thanks in advance for any support,
Francesco

I have been experiencing this issue intermittently as well and I’m using the stable release of 8.0.2. When this happens, the view workspace goes black:

If I wait long enough the designer returns to normal, but as Francesco mentioned, all changes since the last save are lost.

Are there any more details under the full option on the error modal?

This last happened to me on Monday, so I don’t have access to the full error details any more. I can grab them the next time it occurs, which has been multiple times a week recently. Would it be helpful to grab a copy of the wrapper log as well afterwards?

Couldn’t hurt to grab the wrapper logs depending on the nature of the error. Seeing as how you are on 8.0.2 I would recommend reaching out to our support department as well. They can create a bug ticket for this as well as gather any additional details that may be required.

Thanks,
Jonathan C

Hello and thanks for the reply. Sorry I really didn’t noticed the “full” option, it contains the exception stack trace, here it is:

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.timedGet(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.get(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:361)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:59)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:160)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.notifyDeactivated(ViewResourceEditor.java:452)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.editorSelected(PerspectiveWorkspaceListener.java:63)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$3.stateChanged(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:111)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane$IgnoreableSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.swing.JideTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(Unknown Source)
	at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideTabbedPaneUI$MouseHandler.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v(Dev Version)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.3

There is no trace of this exception in the wrapper.log.

We’re currently working on upgrading to the newest major version of our embedded browser library (JxBrowser, from 6 to the newly released 7). There are a lot of stability and performance improvements we’re hoping to take advantage of in the new release.

Per the developer actively working on it, this should hopefully go into nightlies within the next few weeks; the most likely (but certainly not guaranteed) case is that those changes will make it into 8.0.5.

Not sure if you need it still or not after betti.francesco’s reply, but I just had this happen again. here’s the full error details:

at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:361)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:59)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:160)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:255)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:242)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$1.actionPerformed(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:77)
	at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideTabbedPaneUI$CloseTabAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.3 (b2019080717)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.3

I grabbed the wrapper log, so let me know if you need it and I can upload it.

Many thanks for your reply. I’m happy to hear about the improvements you’re working on, and I will surely look forward to see these new features in the development version. Is there something we can do to speed up this process? If you think this can make any difference, I can send error reports when this problem spawns.

I still get this in 8.1.10:

at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:484)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:67)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:166)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:284)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:271)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace$1.actionPerformed(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:81)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideTabbedPaneUI$CloseTabAction.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.1.10 (b2021090812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

Is there a fix for this?

Hi any update here?

Still having this issue in 8.1.18

at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:487)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewResourceEditor.getObjectForSave(ViewResourceEditor.java:68)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.ResourceEditor.commit(ResourceEditor.java:166)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:284)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.tabbedworkspace.TabbedResourceWorkspace.close(TabbedResourceWorkspace.java:271)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.lambda$shutdown$1(ViewWorkspace.java:650)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.workspace.ViewWorkspace.shutdown(ViewWorkspace.java:650)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.designer.DesignerHook.shutdown(DesignerHook.java:378)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$LoadedModule.shutdown(IgnitionDesigner.java:1951)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.cleanup(IgnitionDesigner.java:924)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.shutdown(IgnitionDesigner.java:509)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler.handleExit(IgnitionDesigner.java:3068)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$3.windowClosing(IgnitionDesigner.java:367)
at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.windowClosing(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.1.18 (b2022061518)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.15

The “TimeoutException” is a symptom of some other underlying cause - either JxBrowser (the embedded web browser used for Perspective in the designer) crashed, or there was some problem in the frontend code that caused the web browser to hang up for longer than the amount of time we’re willing to wait for a response.

In either event, you should contact support so they can add you to the list of customers affected. We’re actively engaging with the vendor (JxBrowser is third party software) to get these issues fixed.

I am still getting this error in 8.1.24?

TimeoutException

Ignition v8.1.24 (b2023011208)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.16.1

I forgot to mention that I am running in Ignition Edge.

Is there already a solution ?

The browser library was updated in 8.1.28 and works much better now, reducing the frequency of this issue. Upgrade.

3 Likes

Personally, I have found that this issue happens particularly when many programs are open, using a majority of the available memory. When the load on the memory is smaller, it appears to happen far less frequently.