When barcode scanner enters a new value, a default screen should be shown

Hello everyone,

For an application, I have two screens, the top view, and the button view and I toggle between those two screens using an OPT touch button. I created a script in the client tag change script to do that.

Now, I want the user to see the top view screen first when he/she enters the barcode. Is this possible?
The barcode is a memory tag for now, but later on, the barcode should enter a number in a numeric entry box. The barcode uses a USB interface.

I know that I can probably use tag change but not sure where should I add the script. Is it from client events → Tag change or from Tag events → value changed

Thank you in advance for your response.

What I would do is create a client tag called windowToggle or something like that. Create your window swapping script as a client tag change event set to the client toggle tag. Then you can swap windows from several different events by simply writing to the toggle tag.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response.
I am not quite sure how to do the last part.
Basically, what I want to do is when the barcode value changed I want the top view to be shown.
In the client tag I can have a script for the value changed but how does the value of the client tag related to the barcode tag?

I already have a memory tag for my barcode and that has a script to split the 16 digits number of the barcode and assign them to 4 tags.

I think you said that you are reading the serial number into a numeric field. Put a script in the propertyChange event handler on that numeric text field.

if event.propertyName == 'intValue':
    system.tag.writeBlocking(['[Client]windowToggle'],[1])
1 Like

Thank you very much for your response and for helping me with this.
So I have a numeric entry field for my barcode scanner and the Long Value of that numeric field is bounded to a memory tag value.
What I did here based on your advice. I created a boolean client tag called “WindowToggle” and I wrote this script for its tag events → value change.

When this value changed I want the top screen to be shown.

val= system.tag.readBlocking('{[~]WindowToggle}').value
	if val:
		if system.nav.getCurrentWindow()== "Bottom":
			system.nav.swapTo('Top')
		else:
			system.nav.swapTo('Top')

After that, I wrote a script for that numeric entry box on its property change. The script is:

if event.propertyName == 'LongValue':
    system.tag.writeBlocking(['[client]DefaultScreen.Value'],[1])

Although I did not have any errors I still could not see any outcome. My WindowToggle tag did not change upon changing the barcode value. Even when I manually toggle the WindowToggle value ON/OFF the screen does not change to the top view.

You'll want the binary state of the boolean client tag to represent your two windows.

boolean True -> Top
boolean False -> Bottom

So for the window swapping script..

if val:
	system.nav.swapTo('Top')
else:
	system.nav.swapTo('Bottom')

Also, notice how in your script you have both of your swapping scripts set to swap to Top

1 Like

Thank you! The thing is I do not want to swap to bottom. I want the top screen to be shown always when the barcode value is changed and then I toggle the screens using an OPT touch button

Although I changed the swapping script as you mentioned. Nothing is changed.

Add some print statements or logger.info() statements to your script to see what is actually being evaluated/if its being triggered at all.

It will only swap to bottom when you write False to the boolean tag. If you want the Top window open any time you scan a barcode, then always write True to the boolean tag. It will only swap to Bottom if you write False.

2 Likes

I wrote this for my boolean WindowToggle client tag on its value change:
But I did not see any outcome in output console.

if val:
	print "y"
else:
	print "n"

You won’t see that in the output console, the tag is on the gateway not the client. For gateway script printing, you would use a logger

logger = system.util.getLogger("windowToggle")
if val:
	logger.info("Toggle Bool: True")
else:
	logger.info("Toggle Bool: False")

The logs can be seen on the gateway webpage (Status → Diagnostics → Logs)

1 Like

Thank you!
I copy pasted your script:

However, I do not see any logs, the picture below is for my recent logs:

Also I have my tag as a client tag.

Type in “WindowToggle” in the filter

1 Like

It says no log found:

Since you are doing this in the tag itself and not the client tag change event script, do this instead

if not initialChange:
	logger = system.util.getLogger("windowToggle")
	if currentValue.value:
		logger.info("Toggle Bool: True")
	else:
		logger.info("Toggle Bool: False")
1 Like

Oops, also it was windowToggle not WindowToggle

1 Like

I tried this both with WindowToggle and windowToggle. Also, I wrote my script in the tag itself (Vision Client Tags → Tag Events → Value Changed.) . I could not see anything in the output console nor could I see it in the log infor.

However, if I write this in the client tag change event script, I get the response in the output console:

So should I continue in the client tag change event?

If its a client tag it is in the client logs. You have to go to your Diagnostics page in the client to see client logs.

1 Like

I totally missed that it was a client tag :frowning:

2 Likes