[Feature-13927] Perspective - Table filter by column

Our customer asked if we could filter a table by each column since we were able to do that previously in Ignition with power tables. Currently I believe it’s only possible to filter over all of the data, right? Is there any way to do it individually? If so, please let me know. If not, I’d like to leave this as a feature suggestion.

7 Likes

Hi,

Correct, currently the table filter will filter all of the table data. We have had plans to add filtering for individual columns since day one, but haven’t got around to implementing it yet. Thanks for the reminder.

-Yousuf

3 Likes

Has there been any update on filtering by column data yet?

4 Likes

Hi, any updates on multiple filter option?

1 Like

Hi, any update?

1 Like

This has been a huge gap in perspective.
Having to build a ton of custom filters that were built in before.

2 Likes

is this implemented now?

1 Like

Has individual column filtering been implemented in Perspective yet??

2 Likes

Is there any word on when we can expect this to be implemented? Its something I would use in every view of every project I’ve worked on in Perspective. Where I work, we have been asking for this feature for 2 years and so far haven’t heard back from anyone on an approximate timeline.

Is it technically difficult to achieve? A hotfix would be to allow multiple values in the filter textbox and search the dataset OR wise ie any row containing any of the strings listed in the text field.

Its pretty disappointing to see IA not addressing this very, very common issue developers have… Oh well.

3 Likes

Is there any update on that feature request?

1 Like

Hello, has there been any update on this? A lot of users request this functionality. Thanks!

1 Like

This would definitely be a huge step forward for data heavy reporting applications. I currently have a painfully custom abstract table that allows the users to customize column visibility, filtering, etc. but the way the filtering works is not scalable, and something like this would make it significantly cleaner.

5 Likes

I kicked our internal ticket requesting an update in the prioritization of this, based on the persistent demand in this thread.

12 Likes

Thanks @PGriffith.

Hi, just adding another vote for this request. Any indication of potential release date?

1 Like

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience. You will be happy to hear that this has been implemented and is currently undergoing QA. You will soon have the ability to filter individual columns either through component properties or as an end user via the Table component’s UI. The type of filters that are available are dependent on the determined data type of the column. I will provide more details once the feature has successfully made it into the product. Thanks again.

11 Likes

Hi Yusef
What about column reordering?

Hey, Nader. That’s been available, on all tables, since about December 2021. Try dragging a column header and see what happens.

2 Likes

Wow, turns out getting the date filtering portion to handle a wide range of conditions with and without timezones was very tricky. Thanks for your patience. This feature should be available in the next nightly build, and eventually in the 8.1.23 release.

Some things worth mentioning. We do our best to determine the filter type of the column when the render mode is set to "auto". This is easy to do when the data is a dataset type, but a little trickier when it is an array of JSON objects. In this case, you may want to specify the render mode. If render mode is set to "view", we use the same method to detect the filter type, as if it were "auto" .

We've included four filter types, number, date, boolean, and string. Each filter type has a condition and, all but the boolean type, a value. For the date and number column filter types, that value can either be a single date or number, or an object representing a range (min and max). Just something to keep in mind when binding to the value of these column filter types.

Individual column filters are applied after the main text filter, if it happens to be configured and not empty.

Individual column filters can be hidden from the end user, so that you can just run them behind the scenes.

I think that's the bulk of what you need to know. We do have plans to add more conditions and filter types. If you have something in mind, feel free to let us know and we'll see if we can add it to the list. I'll leave you all with a few screenshots of the UI and some of the property structure. Not all of it though, wouldn't want to spoil it.

13 Likes

This is amazing!!! Literally a feature I've been wanting since 8.0! Thank you to the IA team

3 Likes