Freeze a column in a table

Hello all,

I would like to hold the first column in my table while panning around the rest of the table, basically freezing that column just like excel when you freeze the first row or the first column. Is there any way to do this in perspective?

Do you want your first column to actually scroll, but freeze when a button is clicked or some trigger tells it to freeze, or should it not move at all, ever ?

1 Like

Not move at all, just like excel when you freeze a pane to lock a specific row or column:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/freeze-panes-to-lock-rows-and-columns-dab2ffc9-020d-4026-8121-67dd25f2508f

1 Like

I seem to remember someone asking the exact same things a while back…
Couldn’t find the one I’m thinking about, only old threads.

Nevertheless, I don’t think this is an existing feature… But you could probably work around it by nesting two tables, I guess ?
I’ll try something and report back.

2 Likes

Something like these two:

Yes, that last one is the one I had in mind.

1 Like

Thank you!

Your case is simpler though, if you only want a column to be sticky. You could probably get away with 2 flex repeaters: 1 for the first column, and the second one repeating views that contain the rest of the columns. Put them side by side, tweak some properties, and you’ll be able to scroll everything vertically, and only the second repeater horizontally.

1 Like

what if I make the position of the first column sticky? I did that just like the post suggested but did not work.

I don’t know css or ignition enough to answer that…

1 Like

Not a problem at all! Thank you very much for your help, Pascal. Appreciate it.

infortunatly its not that easy to do (if possible at all) in the grid as the structure is row based. So its hard singling out the columns :confused:

1 Like

I see. I am trying the position method to see if it is working. Thank you @victordcq

Your best bet is the canvas example i made in the posts, you linked^^

1 Like

Wouldn’t 2 flex repeater do the trick ? That seems much simpler.

1 Like

The example used flex repeaters ^^
But it has to be in a canvas for position sticky to work.
And if you dont use it like that both repeaters wouldnt scroll down at a time
(atleast that was what i think happend when i tested it all out, its been a while)

1 Like

If you set overflow: visible on both repeaters, and overflow: scroll on their container, you can scroll both at the same time.
Now I’m not sure how to scroll the second one horizontally from there… That might actually make it more complicated :X

1 Like

Hm interresting
overflow-x
overflow-y
exists… maybe if you only set the correct one to visible and the other one not…

but you might aswell draw the two flexes in a canvas instead of an other container it rly inst that different xd

1 Like

I had this same request 2 years ago when I first started using Ignition. I submitted a ticket for support because in the documentation it showed that you could freeze the column (I can’t remember how but I believe it was by double-clicking the column header or holding CTRL and clicking) and I was told that the feature had been temporarily removed and that it would be re-implemented later. I followed up several times with this ticket and never got a solution. I have since changed jobs, and I am not currently in need of this feature, so I haven’t followed up in about a year. It still shows Open in my tickets with IA, so maybe they are just two years behind on this feature re-implementation. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I will add a comment to my ticket, but feel free to reference the ticket ID (#3398) if you need to.

1 Like

In Vision this is relatively simple. But in Perspective, components just can not be customize further the given props.
You won’t be able to this in a single component.

1 Like