I have a client attempting to use Ignition in a lab environment for R&D purposes.
They have multiple test control system racks, each having upwards of 20 standalone distributed devices.
They’ve been experiencing a severe issue where OPC-UA tags stop updating completely in both Ignition designers and clients.
In some cases, the quality will go bad and read “config error” under diagnostics. Other times the quality stays good but the tags simply don’t update. The scan class claims to have executed but the values are not updated.
If I use the OPC quick client or another OPC client to check the values, they do report correctly, so I know it’s not a connection issue.
- No OPC-UA tags are updating, all values are held at ‘null’
- This is true even for new tags whose OPC-UA connection in the Gateway is reading ‘good’
- The scanclasses are executing, as expression tags update fine
- The Gateway is not under heavy load. Peaks at about 20% CPU and 25% memory usage before GC (21 GB total)
- They have configured 262 OPC-UA connections, of which only 16 are active, the rest are faulted (test devices currently disconnected)
- They default realtime tag provider has 4913 Tags registered
The obvious solution would be to manage these connections in a third party OPC-UA server, and have Ignition only connect to that one server. Any advice?